Which Sunglasses to buy???

Zula

Hey guys and gals, some feedback on this would be appreciated.

Ive been riding with a free promo pair of sunglasses (the type you'd pay R50 for), and im getting fed up with them always fogging up!! Other than that I must admit that they are adequate.

So im looking for a pair of glasses that can be used in all conditions, early morning, afternoon, and cant fog up. I must mention that im looking to spend less than R2000.

So far the following have been considered.

1. Oakley radars with some type of an orange lens

2. Seen a set of Darc's at sportmans warehouse with 5 different lens types

3. Have'nt really looked at rudy projects

what you guys think???

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rudy Projects are the business. Contact CWC and see if they have any left. I think they had those photochromic Rydon's on sale not too long ago.

I have Rudy Rydon's with photochromic lenses, the lenses are mindboggling unbeleivable pair of shades. They go from perfectly clear to 75% shade, great for day and night and varying and changing light conditions. Not to mention they weigh bugger all and the lenses are indestructable. The best R1500-R2000 you will ever spend on shades!!

mackiemoo2009-08-14 06:16:23

If air does not get inbetween your face and lens, they will always fog up. Some brand have little holes or channels that helps air to circulate around the inside.

Saw a set of Rudy projects that auto tint so at a fee they will meet your requirements spot on. Can't recall the price.

But if you're going to be mountain biking, I personally think it is a waste to over spend on something you may land up dropping, stepping on, etc.

So I have used Darc's did step on them twice, after just over a years abuse they were still great, just the nose pieces broke off.

I now have Merida's a set comprises a nice case in which the frames and 3 sets of lenses reside. A glasses pouch. Three lense sets = Tranparent, Yellow (brilliant in dark weather or late afternoon riding) and Dark tint (brilliant for any sunny day). All this at a heavy price of ... R285 retail, I paid a couple rands less. If you step on these, lose them, scratch them or similar you simply buy another set. At the price Rudy's, Oakley, Specialized, etc go for you typically could buy 6-10 pairs of Merida's.

They are very comfortable and they look good unlike the Darc's.

Daxiet2009-08-14 06:20:10

If air does not get inbetween your face and lens' date=' they will always fog up. Some brand have little holes or channels that helps air to circulate around the inside.[/quote'] Indeed even R2000 shades fog up if there is no air flow, some have a better design which allows better airflow, but no matter what if your head is hot and sweaty and you stop for a break the shades WILL fog up. BTW Addidas Climacool have the vented lenses, Spaz also i think.

looks like i better take a look at the rudy's. Im just biased toward oakley coz i wear them normally and they are fantastic. I like the idea of an indestructable lens, especially for MTB

mackiemoo, what colour are those lenses that go from perfectly clear to 75% shaded????

mackiemoo' date=' what colour are those lenses that go from perfectly clear to 75% shaded????[/quote']

It is the photochromic clear lenses from RP. I have the photochromatic polarized jobs as well - only use them in the summer and when I'm on open terrain. They go from dark to.. um... darker but the polarization (?) really helps with the UV rays and crap. Ricky Bobby2009-08-14 06:27:48

k cool, sounds pretty good. Do the clear lenses go dark enough?? or do i need another set of lenses as well??

Saw a set of Rudy projects that auto tint so at a fee they will meet your requirements spot on. Can't recall the price.

But if you're going to be mountain biking' date=' I personally think it is a waste to over spend on something you may land up dropping, stepping on, etc.

So I have used Darc's did step on them twice, after just over a years abuse they were still great, just the nose pieces broke off.

I now have Merida's a set comprises a nice case in which the frames and 3 sets of lenses reside. A glasses pouch. Three lense sets = Tranparent, Yellow (brilliant in dark weather or late afternoon riding) and Dark tint (brilliant for any sunny day). All this at a heavy price of ... R285 retail, I paid a couple rands less. If you step on these, lose them, scratch them or similar you simply buy another set. At the price Rudy's, Oakley, Specialized, etc go for you typically could buy 6-10 pairs of Merida's.

They are very comfortable and they look good unlike the Darc's.

[/quote']

Confused  Or don't drop/step on/abuse your expensive shadesWink

im currently using the oakley Radar and they are the best ive had so far, may i just add that i collect sunglasses so ive tried most but havent tried the rudies yet! my advise is stay away from the adidas range! they have great lenses but the design isnt great for cycling cause you sweat into the lenses on all of the models i have tried! the radars have hydrophobic lenses so if you do sweat into them it just runs off the lens.

so in a nutshell i would go for the radars, jawbones or the rudies

hope this helps