Gravel Travel MTB race a disaster

azb0105

After pre-entering the Gravel Travel 60km I arrived to register 2 hours before the race start and spent 1.30 hours in a queue and was not even near getting registered - the organisers should be ashamed of themselves. I left and went to ride at Jonkershoek, there i spoke to at least 8 others that had also pre- registered and left because of this abonination of organisation.

Never again and I hope others do the same!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally agree with azb0105 ... it was a disaster. The race itself was great. Very disappointed with the kiddies race as this was shocking. No numbers or anything to give kids at the end ...what did we pay R30 for? We were ripped off today folks

The registration process was indeed a disaster - with only 3 people manning the process. There were also no proper signage and no-one knew where to queue for which race. Took me about an hour to get through the process. I pre-registered, but some of my friends who entered at the event got through registration quicker than me. The race started 30 min late.

I must add that all the frustration was forgotten when we hit the first section of single track - awesome stuff.

What a super event!!! Just love it!! Spoke to PPA about the registration, it was TOTALY OUT OF THEIR HANDS!!! They don't have anything to do with the registration. The route was perfectly marked!! Waterpoints was excellent. Will be back next year!<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Ek stem saam julle dit is baie swak en wat maak hulle met al  ons geld. Daars niks wat jy kry vir die geld wat jy betaal nie en dan is die registrasie ook so verk*k. Ja Ja volgende jaar whatever. Vertel iemand wat dit glo. Mense ek is eerlik met julle die orgeniseerders werk ons deur die ore, sommer deur die gat ook. Ek dink dit is tyd dat ons almal saam staan en hulle by die nek gryp en hulle terug bring aarde toe. Wat is dit n pret trap of n geld maak storie. Grayton was net so n f*kop. Daar  was veronderstel om net n 1 200 ryers te wees en dan beplan jy vir genoeg mense om die regestrasie te doen, nee maar hulle wil mos meer geld he. Dink mooi dit is waaroor dit vir hulle gaan op die einde en nie ons die ryers en die mense wat hulle ondersteun nie. Dink dit is tyd dat ons s? *** hulle. Kom ons s? n 1 000 ryers teen R90 dit is n mooi sommetjie geld R 90 000.00. Voorheen het hulle teminste na ons ook gekyk, nou gaan dit net oor hoeveel hulle uit ons kan maak en niks inruil vir ons kostes nie

I also enjoyed the ride.... the queque was a bit of a schlep, but hey.... the ride was worth it.

So sad to hear that some riders turned away... can't say I blame them.

The organisers need to up their game for next year....... or have a pre entry only rule.

PPa and crew did a wonderful job, calming the 'irate' down.  Marshalls were excellant.  I will e back next year

it was a awsome race and the organisers couldnt do anything about the registration. there were a LOT of people and they worked flat out. come on guys give them a break. they made the start later to help everyone out. the route was very well marked, great water points and marshals. will definatly be there next year.

why just concerntrate on the negative points.

Pre-registration is a must but then the process of collecting the numbers should be better (filling in forms again after pre-entering???). For an event this size, there should be a choice of registration venues preceding the event (I'm sure that places like Sportsmans Warehouse benefit from hosting registration).

Other nuisance factors that should be reconsidered is the narrow and inaccessible start/finish which was rather unfriendly for spectators as well as the muddy trek from the parking lot to the finish - I'll be there in wellington boots next year.

Speaking of pedal power - surely I'm not the only one getting impatient waiting for new numbers (especially being unseeded as a newcomer)? Come on guys - it's been a month and a half since we paid membership fees!

Good race. Registration was no different to any other PPA event despite the number of people. More people, more atmosphere. PPA have always been slow with handing out seedings. Beautiful route and very friendly cyclists today!

entered the 60 km but had to do the 30 km as the f-up with the registr. Very disappointed because driving to wellington, queing and paying the entry is bit overkill for 1h40 ride. Just such a shame because if the registration, surely the easiest part of the organisation, was dnne properly it would have been such a nice experience.

Julle kla darem baie vir 'n klomp mountainbikers. Ek is 'n roadie wat die 60km aangepak het, my eerste mountainbike race. Wat 'n eye opener. Ek was 7:30 daar en registrasie het minder as 15 minute gevat. Die ouens wat in die queue gestaan het moet maar volgende keer bietjie vroe?r wakker skrik. 

Julle kla darem baie vir 'n klomp mountainbikers. Ek is 'n roadie wat die 60km aangepak het' date=' my eerste mountainbike race. Wat 'n eye opener. Ek was 7:30 daar en registrasie het minder as 15 minute gevat. Die ouens wat in die queue gestaan het moet maar volgende keer bietjie vroe?r wakker skrik. [/quote']

En julle kla nooit nie.Clap

Clap

Registration was terrible. They should have organised it sothat you can pick up your race number the day before the race. But that does not mean the event was a disaster. I thought it was awesome. The water point was great and the marshalls were good. The single track was AWESOME. I feal sorry for those who did not do the race because of a que. Because you missed out on one great race. I would be back next year   vonbach2009-08-16 04:46:42

Julle kladarem baie vir 'n klomp mountainbikers. Ek was 7:30 daar en registrasie het minder as 15 minute gevat. Die ouens wat in die queue gestaan het moet?maar volgende keer bietjie vroe?r wakker skrik.?
ok, so ek moet vir n 7h race in welnton 4h15 opstaan? Is n betr oplossing ni om nog 5 tannies v 45 minute aan te stel by registrasie ni? Ek kla ook as ek n 500 gram rare steak bestel en ek kry n 200 gram ovr done steak.