Cape Epic Prologue 2010

Overlord

The Absa Cape Epic

The 7th edition of the Absa Cape Epic will kick off

with Stage 1, a 60 minute drive from Cape Town city centre, on Sunday

21 March 2010. 

Anybody know where this will be?

Speculation is welcome.

Kleinmond perhaps...heard rumblings when I was in Hermanus 2 weekends back.

Stage 1 prologue...kleinmond would make sense I guess as first stage location finish could potentially be Hermanus.

Also had a mate that volunteered last year who said apparently Leon Evans said they'd be in Swellendam for a stage or two. Who knows, guess we'll have to wait :(

Get used to all the cloak and dagger stuff. Last year this time, it was still going to be from Knysna to CT with the time trial in the middle of the race. Then 1 month before the event, BANG TT in Cape Town and 2 nights in one location.

So don't be surprised if they change it up a couple of times till the start.

I know there is a stage going through Wellington in direction Ceres. Dont know where that fits in. Obviously not the prologue but maybe stage 2

I recon they will do the prologue in Lourensford, and start the first long stage there... not sure where to though.

Guess you're right on the last minute changes thing but in hindsight I guess the cloak and dagger thing adds to the mystery of the "magical and untamed adventure"

They obviously get kicks out of us non Sherlock Holmes types trying to suss them out each year!

I'm confused do you really think that they'd start in Lourensford because I though the race finishes there as well?

That was my problem with the race and it will remain a problem for me. You have to pay R25k and you only find out in October what you are getting for your $$$. I know that alot of guys felt short-changed this year.

Suppose there would be a couple of peeps out there bleak that the route is only revealed in October...have you been to one of the charity gala's in the past?

I tried to get a charity entry last year at the last minute but unfortunately the race was full. Was pretty disappointed...I think I would try it still though...even if just once!

I did the Vigne n Vigne ride on the last day in 2007 and loved it...guess it's nothing like doing 800km or something obscene like that.

I know you said 60 min drive, but what about a 60 min boat ride -

Robben Island, pretty flat but you would get amazing TV - Kevin Vermaak, you can give me royalties for that idea.

I know you said 60 min drive' date=' but what about a 60 min boat ride -

Robben Island, pretty flat but you would get amazing TV - Kevin Vermaak, you can give me royalties for that idea.
[/quote']

You should try sell it to the organisers of the JAILBREAK ultra triathlon.

Wink

Cant understand why the fuzz about the entry fee.

Its R25500 for 8 days of pure MTB Magic @ R3187,50 per day (all cost included)

How much do it cost foe the Sani2C per day?

Here we got a worldclass event, that the normal guy and girl can do (without the additional cost like overseas air fair's, hotel accomodations before and after , airport taxes etc) and we complain.

I.M.O... The R25000 is worth it

Sani 2 C = R 7 090 per team (3 days), Sabie Experience R3 250 per peam (4 days), Cape Pioneer = R12 500 (6 days); Nelsons Creek 3 days for about R1600 for 2 riders

16 days for R24 440. You also get to see 4 great parts of the country over a 7 month period.

Other option is to take that next business trip to the States and combine it with the Trans Rockies. It will cost you less than your 1/2 of the Epic.

With all these events you know what you get before you commit to entering. I don't think the Epic in its current format will be supported by locals in the long run. What happens when the locals don't ride, and local supporters are not there to support the locals?

I think that Grandstand had got a good thing going, and it is going to be a shame when the event loose its local flavour.