What grease to use on wheel hubs (newbie)

mojo2

I want to clean and grease my hubs but is unsure what grease (lube) to use and how do you know when it is needed to be done?

mojo22009-08-23 05:52:06

Not sure what you define as hub but for the freewheel stay away from grease. Use only mineral oil. For bearings your LBS will be able to help you with bike grease that has teflon. I suppose you could use EP grease but I would rather go to the extra trouble and get proper stuff.

Park Tool Polylube 1000 for the wheelbearings and 3-in-one White Lithium Grease in a spraycan for the freehubs.

Use whatever grease you have in the garage. Wheels are low-tech, low-load, low-speed devices and any grease that is good enough for a car, is good enough for your bike.

Use whatever grease you have in the garage. Wheels are low-tech' date=' low-load, low-speed devices and any grease that is good enough for a car, is good enough for your bike.[/quote']

Thumbs%20Up Thumbs%20Up Thumbs%20Up Thumbs%20Up Thumbs%20Up

I agree with Johan. Using the grease from BP garage on both my MTB and roadbike, and all is running smoothly. Used some fancy expensive lube before on the MTB, and it washed out in no time.

I use SKF high heat bearing grease. Bit expensive but it works a charm. The high heat grease is a little thinner than regular car grease but also has a teflon coating, yet thicker than regular bicycle grease that you pay an arm and a leg for that seems to fade after a while. Added bonus is it comes in 275g tube with nozzle so you can apply it evenly in just about any place with equal amounts

Go to Midas, get a tube of Wheel Bearing Grease, R28

or a tube of Marine Grease R49.

DO NOT BUY at Bike shop, they will rip the ears off your head.

Park Tool Polylube 1000 for the wheelbearings and 3-in-one White Lithium Grease in a spraycan for the freehubs.

I dont even want to know wahat that costs just because its got Park Tool written on it! But mind you it will probably last the home jobber a really long time anyway.

I like the RED Valvoline grease.

O ja, and another tip when using automobile grease: Buy a syringe from the pharmacy and use to apply the grease. Discard afterwards and buy a new one when needed.

O ja' date=' and another tip when using automobile grease: Buy a syringe from the pharmacy and use to apply the grease. Discard afterwards and buy a new one when needed.[/quote']

Do not be like that!!!!!! Buy yourself grease in a tube and a small screw on grease gun. Very neat. Trying to fill a syringe just makes a terrrrrible mess and the grease is always full of air bubbles.

I do use a syringe though to apply oil on the derraileur and brake pivots. Get a tick needle and grind the sharp point off with verrrry light pressure on a grinding wheel and cooling it regularly with water or use sandpaper.

< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="jsCall;" id="jsProxy" ="">

O ja' date=' and another tip when using automobile grease: Buy a syringe from the pharmacy and use to apply the grease. Discard afterwards and buy a new one when needed.[/quote']

Do not be like that!!!!!! Buy yourself grease in a tube and a small screw on grease gun. Very neat. Trying to fill a syringe just makes a terrrrrible mess and the grease is always full of air bubbles.

I do use a syringe though to apply oil on the derraileur and brake pivots. Get a tick needle and grind the sharp point off with verrrry light pressure on a grinding wheel and cooling it regularly with water or use sandpaper.

< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="jsCall;" id="jsProxy" ="">

If you are talking about the inside of your free hub, grease will kill it. The grease is too thick and will prevent the pawls from standing upright to catch the hub completly and will damage the teeth. Ask me how I knowOuch

For the hub I now mix grease and motor oil into a thin paste and apply a thin coat to the pawls. After cleaning I also spray wd40 into the pawls to make sure there is no water in there. I have a DT Swiss hub which has a small bearing cage with 12 very small rollers in the cage, do not loose these if you have the same.

I use AGIP wheel bearing grease for my car and my bike.

Have also used CV joint grease and graphite grease as well.

(Not all at the same time though.)

If you are talking about the inside of your free hub' date=' grease will kill it. The grease is too thick and will prevent the pawls from standing upright to catch the hub completly and will damage the teeth. Ask me how I knowOuch

For the hub I now mix grease and motor oil into a thin paste and apply a thin coat to the pawls. After cleaning I also spray wd40 into the pawls to make sure there is no water in there. I have a DT Swiss hub which has a small bearing cage with 12 very small rollers in the cage, do not loose these if you have the same.
[/quote']

Not sure if your mix that you use on the freehub is the right thing. You are dilluting it to something that nobody knows what the viscosity is. If it is my white lithium grese you are talking about, this is a soft gease that affords excellent water solube protection and works quite well. As for worrying about performance in confined spaces and sensitive conditions, I use the same grease in the micro servo gearboxes on the RC Helicopter.

When I serviced a freehub on the Tandem I had to choose between runny oil that could be washed out or slightly less runny white lithium grease.