Tokai singletrack - suggestion

Gansbay

This post was prompted by two incidents and I wonder if the suggestion on the attached map might be workeable.

Two weeks ago we rode the red trail in Lebanon and on the way down the singletrack we met two guys cycling up.  In this section you are travelling between 35 and 40 k's with very little margin of error between the trees, corners and roots.  I asked the guys whether they knew that this was a unidirectional route and they said yes, laughed and continued up the trail.

Then this last weekend we visited Tokai (thanks Cobus and team for all the graft and excellent trails - that is why we drive 2 1/2 hours on the odd occasion to enjoy what you guys are building)  On the map are 3 exclamation marks that wil help with the discussion:

!1  Coming down here you drop onto the road and fly off the lip on the other side for about 2 meters before landing what I feel is sometimes quite a tricky section (muddy and can be rutty).  This time though a xc rider was pushing his bike up the steep little incline.  No head on this time but I a seriously tricky situation that could result in serious injuries.

!2  Guys riding up this berm seriously disrupt the flow of guys riding down - this berm also often sets the tone for the rest of the section (for me anyway).  Having to stop, push back up and restart is not fun.  I always thought berms wre for fast dh turns.

!3  This is a very popular up ride I know - but then why put in biggish and small jumps on the way down.  It is also a very fast section and with the fynbos growing higher we did not see the xc guys coming round the corner and ended up in the bushes with a seriously banged knee.  Unfortunately it will always be the down rider who has to bail.

I know we don't ride Tokai often - and we can't get there early, so I know when we go it will be crowded.  I normally wouldn't make suggestions about something so far away - but the Lebanon incident prompted a posting.  As mtb'ing is growing and more pressure is put on trails - maybe there needs to be some code, and not just the up rider having the right of way.  On most of the Tokai trails you can restart easily.  I would suggest that some of the trails are designated down only, and some bidirectional where the up rider has right of way.

So my suggestion would be the following:

Blue downhill only, green both but with up having right of way.  If blue is bidirectional, then the up rider should move aside before the down rider gets to them.

The map below is a little dated - but will do for the suggestion.  So what do hubbers think - is it a workable idea?

20090825_034743_TOKAI_001.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be inclined to agree with your suggestions. Mostly because I've seen a lot of Downhill guys really going hell-for-leather in those places. The Berm marked at 2 in particular, as the Downhill guys fly down Lizard, over the jeep track and straight down into the Berm. They would have almost no time to react should someone be riding up the berm, and I've seen plenty guys riding up the berm.

I do see a lot of guys going uphill move over for the guys going down, but as with everything there are those that feel their right of way takes precedence over safety.

Agreed on point 1, pretty dangerous section, love flying over that little rise, and the rutted bit afterwards can be quite technical, definitely not an ideal place for an emergency stop. On numerous occasions I have seen close calls here, usually because the exhausted uphill rider is focusing on clearing the rise and not the collection of metal and rubber coming their way.

With regard to point 3, love the little jumps as they help you go even faster!

It is most annoying when you are forced to ride/crash off the track to avoid crashing into a rider going up just because they werent aware of you.

I am new to MTBing and have only been to Tokai twice, but I thought you use the road to go up and the singletrack to go down?

Using the singletrack to go up, especially on a busy Saturday morning, seems like flirting with disaster.

I am new to MTBing and have only been to Tokai twice' date=' but I thought you use the road to go up and the singletrack to go down?

Using the singletrack to go up, especially on a busy Saturday morning, seems like flirting with disaster.
[/quote']

I think it started out like that but with more and more riding it it is becoming tricky and the up and down has become blurred, hence the suggestion.  But looks like the issue has been flogged to death as the responses have been so few! 

I am new to MTBing and have only been to Tokai twice' date=' but I thought you use the road to go up and the singletrack to go down?

[/quote']

I tend to agree, Early mornings and weekdays...riding up is fine... Saturday and Sunday 10-3pm you are asking for a big chain ring tattoo on the face.

If it's quiet, feel free but keep your flippen eyes open and don't stop for a cup of tea in the middle of the trail. (I'm not joking, I've seen it happen. And they gave me grief for chirping them.)

If it's busy (say more than 10 or 15 cars in the parking lot) then climb the fire roads or risk the wrath of a bloke in full armour on a 20kg bike.

Maybe someone can post a map of Giba to show how it works there. You ride up the main drag and then peel off for the unidirectional single track. Never ridden Tokai so not sure how it compares exactly.

Come on guys, use common sense here. Right of way aside, no-one likes to get ridden over and no-one likes their flow to be broken...especially when cups of tea are involved!

So ride like a clever monkey, keep your eyes open and bear in mind that you will be in the position of whoever you are facing at some point (well in Tokia anyway). Those that ride up a unidirectional trail like Tokia, is maar net dom!

So go ride your bike already, and wheelie the little bridge in the fairy garden to make it difficult - I still can't get it ride after many months!

[/quote']

that would be the most logical but logic goes out of the window when certain people get onto the bike.