Must-do Rides in France & Italy?

MildlyWild

Apart from Mt Ventoux and Alpe d' Huez, which rides are absolute musts around Sthrn France and the Alps, and Italy?

Also mtb rides maybe?

Would appreciate input - going in a week's time and the wife will allow me 2-3 rides a week for 3 weeks.

I've just spent 6 weeks in France in the Alps and Provence areas. ?Morzine and Les Gets are highly over rated and will probably still be quite busy.

To get the best MTB rides you should probably try and hook up with a local guide. If you plan on doing it yourself you should get the local IGN 1:25000 maps. ?In France you can MTB on most of the walking paths and there are a lot! The tourist office in each town is actually very helpful and you can normally get MTB maps.

One area that is fairly unknown is the Vercors (just outside Grenoble) really good road cycling and over 250kms of MTB trail.

I've posetd some of my photos on my flickr account: France 2009

We spent a week MTBing in Morzine a few years ago and while it may be a bit overrated there is still some some really great cycling to be had there.

Any ride in Italy around lake Como and Majori (dont know the spelling) is worth it. You could even hook up with a few pros who regurly ride out there

Any ride in Italy around lake Como and Majori (dont know the spelling) is worth it. You could even hook up with a few pros who regurly ride out there

Lake Maggiore.

Puy de Dome aswell. It is where Eddie Merckx were punched in the kidnes and after finishing he went down and beat up the spectator.

20090831_061556_0304.jpg