Chris King MTB BB - worth it?

Dynamix

I'm considering a Chris King BB to match my hubs. I looked at a clip demonstrating the "grease injection tool" and it makes a lot of sense (if it's true). But will it really last that much longer? Anyone with experience?

If it makes you happy, it is worth it. If you've gone Hope you could have added to the hubs, headset and BB, a seatpost clamp, stem and soon to be released seatpost.

If it makes you happy' date=' it is worth it. If you've gone Hope you could have added to the hubs, headset and BB, a seatpost clamp, stem and soon to be released seatpost.[/quote']

and Lights! Oh ya, dont forget their hydraulic brakes and bar end caps.

I'm more interested in the quality than the bling factor (I love the sound of my hubs though!). In theory you're able to easily replace the grease regularly, so it should last as long as the hubs. But does it really work?

They make the infamous hubs with the teeth system,not conventional pawls,and those are highly rated,so the BB should be good stuff

I'm more interested in the quality than the bling factor (I love the sound of my hubs though!). In theory you're able to easily replace the grease regularly' date=' so it should last as long as the hubs. But does it really work?[/quote']

They have the reputation to back up their claims. You have NOTHING to worry about. In 5-10years time when you're still riding the same bb you'll sit there injecting grease into it and thinking "Duh!"

Buy it here....www.aspirevelotech.com....free shipping worldwide and these guys have without doubt the best service of any online retailer I've used, bike related or not.

Besides there quick response and helpfullness, on my first order I ordered the wrong item, had it sent to me, returned it to them and had the replacement sent out all within about 2-3 weeks total. My item was not a 'free shipping' item and they nonetheless didn't charge me for the second shipment.

MintSauce2009-09-01 11:22:47

Thanks Mintsous, just what I wanted to hear. I was going to order from Aspire VeloTech too, so this was the answer I was seeking!

Slowby, fits most external bearing type crank sets (Shimano Hollowtech II, FSA MegaExo, etc.)

Check out bikeradar.com

They had a review last week - they did not require the injection tool in riding in UK weather for half-a-year or so. Seems to be good - pricey!

Mine are 5yrs in still running on the original bearings. I know of a gentleman who rides a lot more than me who has the original set of bearings after 10 years.

Compared to normal hubs that would require new bearings every 6-18months, you would in the long run probably not save much, if at all, or make back the bigger initial investment since the annual rebuild(the cartridge bearings are fully servicable) is going to set you back over R500 in labour charges. Unless you're a DIY kinda guy and buy the hub service tool (about R1600) and do the servicing(a monkey could do it) yourself.

The BB's are $129 delivered (about the same at CRC, provided you get free shipping).

Scuzzy, I bought my bike a year ago, hubs included, so it wasn't by choice. I love the sound, but I can't honestly say that they feel "out of this world". I'd love to service them myself, but I don't see myself buying a tool at $160.

However, I've been through a couple of BB's, so replacing the grease on a regular basis sounds like the answer. No BB seals 100%, so bearings just won't last with mud and water forcing its way in over time. We'll see.