2010 Argus Cycle Tour & Giro del Capo

Drinks@Brawn

Any pointers for a newbie cyclist and first-time Argus-rider?

Pray for no wind.

If it blows again this year I will turn Agnostic!!

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sooooo.....I have been lucky enough to recover from my fractured foot rather quicky so I can start training for the Argus, albeit with only 5 weeks to go! I went out on Hendrik Potgieter early yesterday morning and the foot feels ok, a bit slow but I am sure this will pick up soon. It is amazing how quicky one's fitness goes backwards.

I am trying to psyche myself up by trying to figure out how damn difficult this race is.....in comparison to the 94.7, which one is more difficult (assuming that the wind os not a factor)??

I rode over Boyes and found it alright, except after the wind and gradient I knew I had not done enough to make the finish fun at all!!

I am therefore selling my entry to 2010 Argus....no that is not the real reason, I will be out of the country damnit.

Let me know if anyone interested.

Ciao

Any pointers for a newbie cyclist and first-time Argus-rider?

Pray for no wind.

If it blows again this year I will turn Agnostic!!

Good point>  Will add it to the list!!Wink

Sooooo.....I have been lucky enough to recover from my fractured foot rather quicky so I can start training for the Argus' date=' albeit with only 5 weeks to go! I went out on Hendrik Potgieter early yesterday morning and the foot feels ok, a bit slow but I am sure this will pick up soon. It is amazing how quicky one's fitness goes backwards.

I am trying to psyche myself up by trying to figure out how damn difficult this race is.....in comparison to the 94.7, which one is more difficult (assuming that the wind os not a factor)??
[/quote']

94.7 is more difficult of the two. Reason being the elevation (height above sea level) there is more climbs/drags/rolling hills on 94.7 route, and you almost always have the wind factor on the Pta/Krugersdorp highway.

Do a search, this subject was discussed at lenght last year about this time.

Hi All' date='

Does anyone know what the NT group is? Is that the old social tandem group? 
[/quote']

That will be half a yes.

I see on the Argus website that they've split the social tandem groups to N and HH. If I'm starting at 7.07 which group is before me?

People needn't be so freaked out by Boyes Drive. The first climb is a just a longish drag and you have a nice downhill before the only other big uphill. The other ascents are all small and are great attack points if you are trying to drop a few leeches!

You also have plenty of recovery time before the next climb, so you can push hard. It's better to strain now as the haul to Smits isn't pleasant if you get isolated.

• 3 weeks later...

Is this years route the same as last one? I only ride the Argus every few years and get confused by all the talk of route changes. As anyone got the route available in a format that I can import into my Garmin Edge 305?