Giant Anthem 0

mrmed

I bought Anthem2 last month (actually two - my wife also wanted one).

R13k each.

Looked at the Anthem3 as well, same frame but lower spec components, most significant is Suntour front fork on the 3 vs. Rock Shock Recon on the 2.

The little bit extra to get the Anthem2 is money well spent.

The price jumps significantly for the Anthem 1 (and 0) - out of my budget at present.

Very nice bike - was not sure what the guys meant when they said it is like a short wheel base Landrover, but now I understand - this bike climbs like magic!! and of course it can speed downhill too.

Mullet, I'll do the Sani2C on my Anthem, if you've got an entry for me, nudge, nudge, wink, wink, know what I mean?

I have heard good things about the Anthem 0 but cant comment on the component combunation you are talking about.

You should also then consider the Felt Virtue (models 1-4) with it's new Equilink System. I spoke to Ken Horna our countries No.1 Pro Exterra rider and Pro Triathlete and he said its the best bike he has had and has taken a number of first places this year in the pro ranks. If you check their web-site you will see that a number of the top pros around the world ride these as well. (feltracing.com)

The component combinations vary depending on what you want to spend. The Equilink System is designed by Felt in the US and manufactured and engineered in Germany. The system is excellent and is basically designed to optimise your pedal stroke and translate into power with minimal waste of energy and slip.

Take a look at them, They are stocked around the country but stock is difficult to get hold of at the moment so you most likely have to order - but apparently its worth it.

HI

Iam on the verge of buying an anthem2 and would appreciate your recommendation. May i ask where you got your bike and price paid as i am beginning the search for a good deal

Regards

Brad

kzn

HI

Iam on the verge of buying an anthem2 and would appreciate your recommendation. May i ask where you got your bike and price paid as i am beginning the search for a good deal

Regards

kzn

Very happy with my Anthem 2.

Takes a bit of time to get used to the full sus when upgrading from hard tail and to find optimal settings for the front and rear shock, but now that I have it sorted out, it rides like a dream.

It climbs exceptionally well (better than my old hard tail), is responsive on the single track and flies down hill. Juicy3 disks give controlled breaking.

Getting the correct frame size is important.

The Anthem is responsive (which is good) but remember that it also amplifies any pilot errors...

Bought ours (wife wanted one too) from Flandria in Stellenbosch.

R13k each, accessories included (clipless pedals, bar-ends, computer, bottle cage).

Would definitely recommend the Anthem.  I built mine up with X9,Raceface and Avid Juicy7.  The only complaint I have is the clearance of the pedals.  Compared to the GT I had before, I am about an inch closer to the ground.  Makes it really tough to pedal through between rocky sections.  I don't think it is as much of an issue on the smaller frame sizes (with the 172.5 cranks).

As for shopping around there is not much point when it comes to Giant's.  Most places will sell at more or less retail.  Best bets in Durban are Greg's (Cyclesphere), Leigh's or BringItOn.  All deal with Dragon's so the backup will be first class.

Linnega, did you sort out your spacer issue for your fork ?

The Thug2007-05-16 01:07:14

Once you get used to the anthem you will love it. Have had mine for over a year now, and upgraded as time passed, now have an absolute awesome set up. But i would'nt recomend the XTR upgrade. I upgraded my brakes to the 2008 XTR set up. And a little dissapointed. They're not bad, but just not up to my abusive needs.

Enjoy.

D

I upgraded my brakes to the 2008 XTR set up.

Can you please post images of what the '08 products look like.

Myself and 3 friend bought anthem 1's. It is an awsome bike.Gives you the feeling of a stiff racer but with the travel and comfort of a dual sus.We all bought at Bring It On in Kloof and had awesome service.They even lend me a demo to go and ride at Giba before I made up my mind.

Linnega' date=' did you sort out your spacer issue for your fork ? [/quote']

No - not yet.  The guys at Cycle Africa were a little wary of me getting in there and messing with the fork set-up.  What I have done is released some of the pressure upfront (I had it on the max pressure for my weight) and added pressure in the rear suspension (which was in the low range for my weight).  Still not quite right.  Need to add a bit more air at the back (because I am still within the range) and front (because it feels a little "soft").  Balance is much better though and climbing in "plush" with the ProPedal off on the back is now possible without me sliding off the back of the bike.  I will play around a bit over the next couple weeks before Dusi Mfula and get the balance pretty close to right.  Can't do too much off-road riding as the doc says I can ride as long as I don't fall again if I want to be able to ride Dusi.