Old Cassette+New Chain=problems?

brightred

Hi all

I was running a standard MTB 9 speed shimano LX setup. Although about 3 years old and worn it worked fine mostly. I then proceede to replace only the chain and now it slips like crazy the minute i put any form of pressure on. Is this because the cassette is worn but the chain is fine? (the gears were set properly btw)

thanks

yes.  Normally a mtb chain only lasts about 3 mnths, and a cassette six.  THe two or three chains per cassette seems to be the standard.  Also clean the chain after ever off road ride or the chain will be toasted after only 2 months.  3 years on a chain must be the hub record, that or you don't train enough.

Kona after me and Yellow Johan had a bit o argument about this whole DT story I have decided to do a little test . So my current XT DT has been on my bike now for close to 3 years , has done many,many km (still to add up) and by the looks of things will go for many more . I am not replacing anything and only make sure it is always clean etc . If I was to put a new chain ,blade , nut or bolts on that setup it will surely fail . So one day when I want to get out of the saddle to give a power stroke and all fails leaving me with a crack nut I will strip it all and send to Johan for inspection and comments . But until such time I believe you do not change any one component on your DT ,but everything at once !

. But until such time I believe you do not change any one component on your DT ' date='but everything at once ![/quote']

What a load of BS...LOL The crankset on my one MTB is older than six year...so is both der's. I replaced the cassette only once, but the chain about 6 times...all in all costing about R1000. Riding with a worn chain for 3 years will f up your crankset. Replacing everything then will cost you so much more.

bye bye cassette, most recently my chain lasted 800km's, and then when i put a new chain on SLIP SLIP SLIP. I do however think the problem was riding a worn chain which killed my cassette.

So, now I have a new chain and cassette as well as a chain checker!! I check the chain all the time and as soon as it hits 0.75 - in the bin. Hopefullys this saves me some rands and cents in the long run :)

And just HTF do you messup your crank with a worn chain or blades ? Your costing model also does not add up . So you spend R1000 over a period of how long ? , and then when crank/rings ? eventually fails after 3 years ? You replace it and it all cost you less in the end of the day ? Mmmmm are you perhaps using the same model our govermunt is using ? smiley2.gif

Yeah my 8sp chain was 1300km old and was so stretched. Did not have a chain checker at home but when I compared physical length it was an entire link longer than the new chain ...

So I now I will need to get a new cassette too even though I cannot see any damage I do believe it is already done.

Will make sure that I keep a spare chain on hand at all times and religiously check my chain. Mud is evil Evil%20Smile to a chain

smiley36.gif Sure but I am doing this to prove something else . I.E a well looked after DT will last you for years and many,many happy km'ers ! And when one day I do need to replace it , it's gonna cost me R4000+ . Not bad for 3 years service ?

yes.  Normally a mtb chain only lasts about 3 mnths' date=' and a cassette six.  THe two or three chains per cassette seems to be the standard.  Also clean the chain after ever off road ride or the chain will be toasted after only 2 months.  3 years on a chain must be the hub record, that or you don't train enough.[/quote']

Whoa...what do you do with your DT....scrape it on each and every rock?

You should be able to get much more than THAT from a chain & casette for that matter....unless you buy el cheapo chinese crap???Big%20smile

OR? are you one of those dudes that does 4000km pe rmonth?

OR? do you never clean your DT at all????

Maybe then 3 months is reasonable...otherwise your LBS is smiling all the way!!