carbon fork query

quickdraw

Hi

I have this for that I am considering putting on a bike I am putting together for myself.

I cannot get much info on it butm from what I can see it appears to be a steel steerer with carbon/carbon wrap lowers?

The question is there appears to be a crack, but I am not sure if it is just the coating on the steel section (not too sure how it is built). It sounds pretty metalic and solid when tapping it on that point and a bit below it?

The top part is coated black and feathers out lower down to show the weave.

What do you think - safe/find something else.

20090916_144352_fork1.jpg

if I had to guess it is a steel steerer plugged into a aluminium/steel crown and then carbon lowers. The crack is probably just where the bond is.

But I'm not the one who risks losing my face when it fails smiley17.gif

You'll keep guessing whether its in the structure or just in the duco until you take to it with the sandpaper.

IMO you'll have to strip to find the truth and if OK then respray. Byebye Bianchi label!

Was this purchased at the sale?

Do not know if I will take a chance on a fork like that............ Imagine doing 50 km/h and that going snap crackle POP......

Rather get a new one

You'll keep guessing whether its in the structure or just in the duco until you take to it with the sandpaper.
IMO you'll have to strip to find the truth and if OK then respray. Byebye Bianchi label!
Was this purchased at the sale?

You have a point there, so if I sand it down along the line and a little bit down everything appears fine then it should be OK to use?

It is along the inside of the leg so should not be too much of a hassle - should I sand it down all the way around or just take it down till I see metal Confused

Yep, got it at the sale Ouch

Anybody have a carbon fork with a 1" steerer Tongue
quickdraw2009-09-16 23:16:40

Ok done a bit of wittling on the fork and it appears that this is the point where the carbon weave ends, crack appears to be the putty/paint vibe.

Should I still abandon the for or is this cracks just a case of the flexing, etc between the two materials?

I have a fork with a similar problem, also a hairline crack where the carbon joins with the aluminum. Had been ridding it for a while before I noticed it. I had an accident with it a while ago, hit a car at about 40km/h and couldn't believe it didn't snap, but checked the crack about 6 months later. The frame was damaged/kinked and front wheel totalled. So have taken it off my bike now as I don't trust it any more. If you tap the fork it sounds solid still, but underneath the aluminum could be fractured. So think the best is to sand it down pretty well like someone suggested and check it out. Then respray. In my opinion that fork has taken an impact, so its reliability is always at doubt now??? It appears as though there is a crack on both fork legs??

Yup I saw that fork at the sale.

It was priced at 6K !!

I thought to myself: " Jees this must be a special fork. What makes it so special?"

The guy standing next to me told me its one of those new 'high flex' carbon forks.

He showed me how you can squeeze it, until the dropouts touched.

Amazing!!

So if its this one, I would say you scored a huge bargain and should have no worries.

Sounds like it could be a risky fork.

You probably paid 120-160, so no biggie. win some lose some.
tarboy2009-09-17 02:44:05

You probably paid 120-160' date=' so no biggie. win some lose some.
[/quote']

I guess, it would have made anice addition to my first roadbike Cry

Will see if my xray connection comes through, still trying to cling on to a little hope.

I had exactly the same problem. I took the bike to a dealer and I was assured that the crack was merely in the paint (or the carbon wrap). Apparently there is a joint at that point and there is an inherrent amount of flex which causes the paint or carbon wrap to crack.

Yup I saw that fork at the sale.

It was priced at 6K !!

I thought to myself: " Jees this must be a special fork. What makes it so special?"

The guy standing next to me told me its one of those new 'high flex' carbon forks.

He showed me how you can squeeze it' date=' until the dropouts touched.

Amazing!!

So if its this one, I would say you scored a huge bargain and should have no worries.

You probably paid 120-160, so no biggie. win some lose some.
[/quote']

Ha, ha - sorry not that fork, this was in some guys little container filled with Bianchi forks - he took it out when he realized it had a 1" steerer - definately feels like there is no flex.

Anyway, fork is booked in for an x-ray monday morning so will see from there, never paid too much for the fork but getting the x-ray for free so no skin off my back.

I had a ICON fork on a TREK bike in 1999, it did the same thing. The the rep took it to Joburg to get checked out. He said it was just the paint that cracked on the steel and carbon joint. So i rode it, till i sold it like that, without any problems. The guy that bouhgt it, still rides it 10years later, so if thats the case, it should be fine.