chain cleaning (again)

kocourek

Hi

Just wondering, what would be the optimal fluid to clean a chain with when using one of those all in one chaincleaners. The type that comes in two parts with brushes and cogs inside. Paraffin? and what oil to use after? I have seen types of snakeoil sold at the LBS at ridiculous prices. Would W40 not do just as good a job. Still a noobie with bike maintainance and I just had to fork out quite a bit for a new Durace chain so I would like to keep this one in good nick for as long as posible

I believe in using Prepsol. It's the pink stuf that you can buy an a 5 liter container at your local spares shop. You can use it undilluted and and is environmental friendly. If you spill some of it on your grass it will do no harm. steynja2009-09-19 14:41:57

Prepsol seems to be the way to go. WD40 is a water displacer and there is much debate on its use: is it good; is it bad. You could use it as a pre-clean spray but never ever use to substitute a lube.

For real nasty grime I got a tin of Finish Line Citrus spray from my LBS, pricey but its the shizzels.

Oom Cassie will tell you to use diesel but then again he has this odd fascination with diesel and anti-freeze. LOL

Now we get to lube: "Lube is like religion, we each have our own"

I find that Epic Dry Lube is perfect for me but rather try and bum some lube off mates to try it yourself. Actually, find a decent LBS (if you don't already have one) and ask them to try before you buy the different lubes.

cbrunsdon2009-09-19 14:46:29

but rather try and bum some lube off mates to try it yourself. 

ahem... did he just come out? smiley2.gif

Never ... I'm not a closet roadie if that is what you mean LOL LOL LOL This mountain goat only swings one way, and that is MTB way

Prepsol seems to be the way to go. WD40 is a water displacer and there is much debate on its use: is it good; is it bad. You could use it as a pre-clean spray but never ever use to substitute a lube.

For real nasty grime I got a tin of Finish Line Citrus spray from my LBS' date=' pricey but its the shizzels.

Oom Cassie will tell you to use diesel but then again he has this odd fascination with diesel and anti-freeze. LOL

Now we get to lube: "Lube is like religion, we each have our own"

I find that Epic Dry Lube is perfect for me but rather try and bum some lube off mates to try it yourself. Actually, find a decent LBS (if you don't already have one) and ask them to try before you buy the different lubes.

[/quote']

Second to my Diesel fettish...Wink  Parrafin works very well....and quick.

As for lube...you'll have to go a long way to beat Spanjaard's Chain and Linkage spray...Thumbs%20Up

I spray mine with engine cleaner (making sure not to get it anywhere near any bearings etc). I then spray it off with a jet of water.

It comes out all nice and shiny. Once the chain is dry, I lube it with Squirt. I suppose any other wax based lube will work fine, I use Squirt as it is an SA product and it is renouned for its good quality.

Oh, one important thing that seems never to get mentioned: The type of chain makes a major difference to your cleaning ritual. If you have a half-silver chain or non-silver (these are awesome technical terms used in the industry) you need to be very, very careful of rust.

If its full silver then rust is not a major issue.

Mentioned this as I wanted to throw my chain  (half-silver) into the dishwasher at 75C but it will cause a layer of rust to form. Actually tempted to do it with my old chain to see what happens.

Clean Green followed by a dose of teflon based lube... But I always apply lube like white lightning or rock n roll before each ride. The teflon lube is only for directly after cleaning the chain... displaces any water or unwanted cleaning agent residue.