Port Elizabeth - issues with Mavic hub

Tjokkits

hallo all

I am travelling at present with my MTB have Mavic Sl rims and my rear hub seems to be packing up makes a terrible GRRRR noise when freewheeling. 

I am now in Port Elizabeth

Can anybody refer me to a bike shop that can sort this out real quick??Cry

If you wated it sorted out today you are out of luck all cycle shops is closed.

Tomorrow you can try Wayne Pheiffer cycles or Action cycles.

This is a very commen problem, need to strip the hub down with allen keys and put slight oil on the nylon spacer. This gets dry causing this terrible sound

regards

Derek

You can do the work yourself as erikt123 has indicated - Mavic's are pretty simple to service. But you need and all the right tools otherwise its just a mission.

Use Finishline green to lube the freehub and nylon washer, thats unless you have Mavic Freehub oil or mineral oil lieing around. About 5-10 drops will sort you out. And one of on the nylon washer.

However if the nylon washer os worn you are going to have to replace the freehub body. Check this by grabbing the cassette while still on the freehub and see if you can wiggle it around. There will be some play to allow it to spin but if its loose with alot of play it is time to replace.

Unfortunatly that washer is Mavics biggest failing if it is not serviced regularly.

This is a very commen problem' date=' need to strip the hub down with allen keys and put slight oil on the nylon spacer. This gets dry causing this terrible sound

regards

Derek
[/quote']

Common problem for MAVIC wheels. Moral of the story: buy Shimano. I also learnt the hard way. I'm on an XT wheelset now and I love it.

This is a very commen problem' date=' need to strip the hub down with allen keys and put slight oil on the nylon spacer. This gets dry causing this terrible sound

regards

Derek
[/quote']

Common problem for MAVIC wheels. Moral of the story: buy Shimano. I also learnt the hard way. I'm on an XT wheelset now and I love it.

The nylon bushing might be unique to Mavic freehubs, but for any freehub to last it needs regular cleaning and lubrication, whether Shimano, Mavic, DT Swiss, or whatever you might have.

Speaking of the OLD XT hubs...knew a guy who sold he;s wheels having done 150 000 on a pair ...yikes

thanks guys, had the hub open yesterday missed the nylon bush thingy will see what the bikeshop says tomorrow

For any repairs/maintenance to an MTB you will not get better than Rob Rudman at Cyclopro. They are in the Elliot Center off William Moffett Expressway. Their number is 0413687244

thanks everybody I ended up going to Action Cycles and they were very helpfull had me back on the road in an hour, turned out to be the one bearing that was ceasing and that bushing that was dry