My new project - 1993 GT Zaskar LE

nathrix

My GT Zaskar project is almost complete!

I will upload some pics tomorrow. Decided on converting it to a single speed, so I still need to source a crank, Derailleur Hanger-mounted Replacement Chain Tensioner, chain and looking at the Chris King cog and spacers.

The parts fitted so far (all parts are new excluding the fork):

- fork (white 2008 fox rlc 80mm v-brakes or disc),

- wheel set (2008 Mavic crossmax sl rim brakes with mavic ti skewers)

- tyres (maxxis foldables crossmark rear + monorail front + mavic presta valves as I'm not fitting inner tubes + sealant,

- headset (Chris King silver),

- stem 110mm (Thomson Elite X4),

- handle bar (Ritchey wcs carbon flat),

- v-brakes (Avid Single Digit SL rim brakes + Avid Speed Dial Ultimate levers),

- grips (ESIgrip blue),

- seat post 27.2mm (Thomson set back),

- seat clamp (KCNC silver)

- saddle (Fizik Gobi XM),

- 2 x bottle cages (Specialize white).

Weight of this puppy so far...just under 7.8kg. I'm sure I can get it lighter, but happy with the parts so far as it's already costing me way more then what I initially budgeted for.

I will be fitting eggbeaters as soon as the crank and BB is fitted.

Any suggestions welcome as well as to source the ss parts locally, new or second hand :)

Please post a pic already ... need some eye candy today angry.gif

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a RS Mag 21 at home if anyone is interested and a Yellow RS quadra 21R

Why you talking Greek to me...what are you talking about? Do you have pictures?

Get hold of the guys on www.singlespeed.co.za, they have Fire Eye SS conversion kits to convery your cassette to a single, as well as the Spur chain tensioner.

Shot for the info, will have a look.

Please post a pic already ... need some eye candy today angry.gif

Ok, now i can understand what you asking for, haven't taken any pictures yet, i will as soon as i get home and the 'light' is just right :)

Just a pity their frames still look the same as in 1992 and the latest carbon Zaskar weigh about the same as a modern alu frame.

Any Idea when GT will bring out a new Carbon Hardtail frame?

Just a pity their frames still look the same as in 1992 and the latest carbon Zaskar weigh about the same as a modern alu frame.

Any Idea when GT will bring out a new Carbon Hardtail frame?

What's wrong with the Zaskar HT frames? Isn't it like asking Porsche when are they bringing out a new 911 because the shape looks the same since 19 whenever?

Porsche upgrades the suspension, engine, handling, performance and weight every time they bring out a new model. The Zaskars are not bad looking imho, but just not on the forefront of technology such as the likes of Spec, Merida, Scott, Cannondale etc.

Having said that, I am sure you will also be glad to see that the 2011 Zaskar Carbon will be 300gr (yes 300grams!!) lighter than before. That in itself shows you how far behind they were!

Good luck with the projec!

Nice little project - Ive got a `95 Gt avanlanche 0.5 that I bought while in the UK - polished ali frame that is dying to have a complete upgrade - Soon very soon :rolleyes:

Old School Forks

Must admit Hairy, those old school forks are beauty's! I still have the original gt rigid fork under the bed, will take a photo and upload it as well tomorrow.

nice....there was an old sid going for sale.....would look more at home on her than the fox - in fact you need a rock shox mag 21!