Parktool Junk

JPW#

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I recieved my PT cable cutter yesterday (wow that was quick!!)

In all honesty, I thing some of the remarks like giant hands needed, poor clip etc. is a bit misleading

I found the tool to work perfectly for the cables and housing I did last night.

The only thing I can obviously not check is how long it will last. But with all our LBS' in town using them, I'm sure I'll be a happy camper for years.

A+ from me

Thumbs%20UpThumbs%20UpThumbs%20UpThumbs%20Up

<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

OK then, lets make an objective comparison.

20091006_032317_Cutter_1_clip.JPG

20091006_032405_cutter_clip_2.JPG

These two photo show a ParkTool and PRO cable cutter?s closure devices respectively. The ParkTool model has a piece of wire that requires two hands to operate and an assistance to search for on the floor when it shoots out. The PRO has a one-hand lock.

20091006_032510_cutter_default_.JPG

This photo shows the two products side by side in their default open position. This picture tells the whole giant hands story. This is important because once open  and you?re working with cable, you?ll want to grab the cutter in one hand and get it in position for cutting. The ParkTool is too big for my hand and I have to either use two hands to get it into position or, push it against my body with the working hand until it is in position.

20091006_032553_cutter_relative.JPG

This Photo shows the relative size of the two products. The PRO is noticeably shorter, yet offers sufficient leverage to cut spokes. But that?s not the full story, the PRO?s handle profile doesn?t let your hand slip forward whereas the ParkTool?s does. This makes the PRO noticeably easier to handle and manipulate. A pro mechanic not only cuts the occasional cable, but also cuts out spokes. You have to manoeuvre the cutter with one hand and navigate it between spokes whilst holding the wheel with the free hand.

20091006_032632_cutter_default_.JPG

This photo shows the position where the cutter just-just touches the cable. In other words, from where you?ll start to apply pressure. Notice that the ParkTool one had to be restrained by elastic to keep it in that position other wise it opens up wide, whereas the position is the natural one for the PRO, where it defaults to.

20091006_032724_cutter_compare_.JPG

This photo shows the end result of the two cuts. It is indistinguishable which one did which job.

The PRO costs R228-00. I don?t remember what I paid for my ParkTool cutter. Maybe someone can let me know and I?ll edit the document.

Make up your own mind.

johan, the park tool cable cutters i have used look a bit different from the one you've taken pics of. i'm sure a man of your skill could easily fix that clip...slowtwitch. yours the same as his?

johan' date=' the park tool cable cutters i have used look a bit different from the one you've taken pics of. i'm sure a man of your skill could easily fix that clip...slowtwitch. yours the same as his? [/quote']

I thought mine didn't have that spring-y-mabob.

This is what I recieved:

20091006_035906_3-25-large.jpg

If I knew Pro was so good and so cheap I prob would have bought it rather (If I could find someone selling it) just for a cost saving.

BTW I paid R290 delivered

johan' date=' the park tool cable cutters i have used look a bit different from the one you've taken pics of. i'm sure a man of your skill could easily fix that clip...slowtwitch. yours the same as his? [/quote']

?

I thought mine didn't have that spring-y-mabob.

?

This is what I recieved:

20091006_035906_3-25-large.jpg

If I knew Pro was so good and so cheap I prob would have bought it rather (If I could find someone selling it) just for a cost saving.

BTW I paid R290 delivered

?

?

yeah, i've seen that one, and another with a totally different type of spring...don't know what to call it. will look for a pic.

I got a cable cutter from Builders warehouse for about R120.  It is great.  Still need to see how long it will last

Parktool came back to me , will be posting what they said, All in all , will keep on buying their products.