Garmin Edge 305 SUCKS!

Tankman

About the 705... mine worked great for 6 weeks then the cadence stopped displaying. Since the cadence and the rest of the sensors (excluding HRM) stem from the same little GSC10 sensor, and everything else works fine - it cant be the battery. NE1 have this type of fault before?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can somebody post or pm me. What POLAR product would compare to the GARMIN EDGE 305 and then the 705?

I was set on the 305 but reading through this thread I'm a bit concerned to invest in the 305!

About the 705... mine worked great for 6 weeks then the cadence stopped displaying. Since the cadence and the rest of the sensors (excluding HRM) stem from the same little GSC10 sensor' date=' and everything else works fine - it cant be the battery. NE1 have this type of fault before?[/quote']

GSC10 sensor only provides cadence and speed.

Speed from the sensor is only used when you do not have GPS reception or where you are not actually moving e.g. when riding on a IDT .

Thus the fact that speed is working does not mean that the GSC10 is OK.

Have you checked the alignment of the magnet on the crank with the sensor?

Did you press the button on the sensor and check for the red/green light as the crank and wheel sensors pass?

(By the way, this is a online forum, not mixit; use your full keyboard. Wink)

(By the way' date=' this is a online forum, not mixit; use your full keyboard. Wink)

[/quote']

Thanks for advise, dont know what mixit is though, sounds like something my wife and kids would abandon me for if they caught me, and doesnt really solve my Garmin 705 problem.

Please don't get me started on the cadence sensor!

I have come to accept it as a consumable and not part of my equipment' date=' if you want to fix it yourself try this:

http://forums.motionbased.com/smf/index.php?topic=7719.0

[/quote']

Now thats useful advise, however it pisses me off to think you spend a ton of cash on an instrument that cannot last 6 months. So that just goes to show, it doesnt pay "upgrading" to the 705 either. Rather use Polar, or something else.

About the 705... mine worked great for 6 weeks then the cadence stopped displaying. Since the cadence and the rest of the sensors (excluding HRM) stem from the same little GSC10 sensor' date=' and everything else works fine - it cant be the battery. NE1 have this type of fault before?[/quote']

Tankman pointed to the problem with the GSC-10: it's not waterproof.

I've done the full waterproofing thing from that link on one of my GSC10s. It's a bit of a mission, but it's survived a number of wet rides and bike washes and is still going strong.

On my second bike I used a simpler solution. Instead of dismantling the whole thing, I just removed the rubber backing and filled the small hole with some non-acidic sealant. This one has also survived some wet rides and bike washes, so the simpler solution does seem to work.

Ps. Before you try any mod, see if you can get the broken GSC10 replaced under warranty. Then do the simple mod on the new one.

Edman2009-11-23 05:45:31

I bought the 305 last year Feb - no problems. Took it to Alaska and Norway to cycle the mountains worked fine. I use a mac laptop with bootcamp installed and it works fine on the Windows side and Mac side.

I am having so many problems it just aint funny anymore :-(  love the unit when it works but often can't get it on after charging the whole night put it on the bike and nothing happens very frustrating. Now the heart rate monitor won't pick up on the unit either spent way to much money on batteries already and now some arseholes have stolen my cable to download my data when they broke into my office.

Oh and by the way this is my second unit as Avnic replaced it once before for doing the same sh!t.Ouch
Dirty Twin2009-11-25 10:47:00

I am having so many problems it just aint funny anymore :-(  love the unit when it works but often can't get it on after charging the whole night put it on the bike and nothing happens very frustrating. Now the heart rate monitor won't pick up on the unit either spent way to much money on batteries already and now some arseholes have stolen my cable to download my data when they broke into my office.

Oh and by the way this is my second unit as Avnic replaced it once before for doing the same sh!t.Ouch

same problem for me. i downloaded the patch off the garmin site onto my 305 and so far it hasn't been playing dead anymore.

I think thats pretty shocking that they can have such a poorly designed sensor on an expensive product and if this has been the case why have Garmin not sorted it out in production

I was just about to take the plunge on a 705 but looks like I must find out a bit more on the sensor issue first

good informative post this

I was just about to take the plunge on a 705 but looks like I must find out a bit more on the sensor issue first

The cadence sensor issue with the Edge is annoying (and not what you'd expect from a piece of kit costing R600), but is easy to fix by sealing the hole.

If I had to make the decision over again, I'd still buy my 705 as it is currently the only computer on the market that offers all of the features I want:

- ANT+ support

- Large screen

- Multiple data fields

- Customisable and complex workouts and goals

- Altitude measurement

- GPS tracking

yes it does have everything I want and more so prob will end up getting one just holding out as a friend may be to get me one at cost whatever that will be I dont know I think they are about 350 quid on CRC at the moment

I think they are about 350 quid on CRC at the moment

It used to be cheaper to buy Edge 705s locally, but I see they now no longer include SA maps in the bundle.

Now you can get a 705 + Cad & HR from CRC with complete European maps for around R4700 landed price. The local version, without maps, goes for R5100 from Cape Union Mart (and that's on 15% off special).