Garmin Edge 305 SUCKS!

Tankman

whats the price on a 500 ?

As far as I know its not in the country yet, otherwise I would get one.  I see its about R1900 for the basic and R2300 for the bundle on CRC.  Probably about R3200 via authorized SA dealers - but, thats guessing

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

no they ban it because they dont want cyclists to go back and ride the routes and abuse private land. and that is the exact purpose of a GPS' date=' to find things (right geotrails?).

The point still remains - its a very usefull tool. I would have it at a guess that most people who have a GPS system use it only to map their routes (and the cell phone technology come in handy).

It comes back to what I first asked when you jumped horse. What do you want to use it for?

For most people a normal cycling computer is perfect.

[/quote']

All the more reason to use GPS, so that people know where they are riding so as not to trespass.  All land has rights and obligations attached to it, and its about time that mountain bikers started respecting those.  Contrary to the short sighted view held by Cape Epic organizers, GPS can assist in ensuring that we respect those rights and obligations.  Instead of banning GPS, why not simply ban the people who abuse rights and obligations (such as getting land owner permission, paying permit fees and not littering!)

Talk about contraditions, the very people who ban GPS tracking from the Cape Epic, break their own rules by allowing it for the leaders and publishing the tracks on a live website.  All the top finishers in the 2009 Epic should actually have been disqualified if we go by the Cape Epic rules!

the event in question bends and breaks or decides to enforce its rules at the whim of its creator.

GPS is an extremely useful tool, far more beneficial than the Polar I had before that and far more accurate wrt to elevation, gradient and distance.

coupled to a quarc power meter or some of the newer devices coming out it becomes extremely powerful training tool.

also it can be used for incar navigation if you having the mapping software.

Cyclingtool, training tool, mapping tool, navigation tool. Thats a lot of bang for your buck

geotrails we are burning both ends of the same stick - and I feel that there will be no end to what you argue, simply because you have one. Your arguments have not convinced me as to why I must have one, other than call me a roadie.

Again - its a nice gadget, nice to have, very helpful - but not necessary, where a cycle computer can do the task.

Slowbee2010-01-14 15:52:13

Unfortunately I am a gadget junkie, and a normal cycle computer will just not do! But I do agree with Slowbee, a plain cycle computer in most cases will do the job just as good. For my level of cycling the most basic one that can offer cadence will be all that I need. Being a gadget freak unfortunately can be quite hard on my wallet. We are 4 people in our household, and each of us has a GPS capable cellphone. I have an Edge 705, a Garmin Nuvi, a Garmin GPS12, a Route 66 GPS and a Altech Netstar Guardian. That is a total of 9 GPS receivers in our house!

• 7 months later...

I DID IT! I did the 'repair' as suggested on the Interwebs (MTBGuru). Pretty easy so lets see how it goes. Only ridden with it once so far and it was not too technical. Will trap the Rietvlei XC route tonight where it always switched off and see how it goes!

I DID IT! I did the 'repair' as suggested on the Interwebs (MTBGuru). Pretty easy so lets see how it goes. Only ridden with it once so far and it was not too technical. Will trap the Rietvlei XC route tonight where it always switched off and see how it goes!

BigS - ironies of all ironies - spotted this thread [why Edge 305 sucks :unsure: ], got to the last page - and a knock on the door announced the Speed Services fellow dropping off the Edge I bought last week from a fellow hubber! B)

Please keep us informed about one potential good news story involving an Edge 305 on this thread!