Pacemaker

Avonturier

Riding after fitting a Pacemaker  

1. 1. Riding after fitting a Pacemaker

• The pacemaker changed my life for the better
    • It has no marked effect.
    • It is impeding on my cycling and fitness.
    • It is a damn nuisance!
    • It is the worst deciscion of my life!

I have been diagnosed with an atrial fibrilation (upper heart chamber flutter) and bradycardia (abnormally slow heart rate). Angry

I still cycle - mostly mountain bike. Big%20smile

I would like to know if any other cyclist had pacemakers fitted and if it has improved your training and quality of life?Confused

My dad had a spell while we were in Plet one year. He was feeling a little off-ish and couldn't walk straight... Actually looked like he had to much to drink...

Anyway, we took him to hospital, were they discovered his ridiculously low heart rate. It was something like 30 bpm. The doctor couldn't believe that my dad actually walked into the hospital on his own two legs.

So my dad was in hospital for 2 days or so while they gave him stuff to get the heart rate up again, but nothing had a satisfactory effect. So in he went to get a pacemaker installed. He was awake for the procedure and was awake and all good as they rolled him out.

He was 72 then and is 76 now and there is no doubt in my mind that his quality of life is better than it would have been without. He still plays golf and can even play a couple of games of tennis when he feel keen. He really is in great shape.

A big thank you to the doctors (Think it was Dr Darby/Dolby/Darlby... something like that) that did such a good job. MaxUmis2009-10-09 02:15:40

Hope you find some good advice, and keep cycling!  Personally dont know of anyone with pacemaker, but hub is good place to find out.

Glad to see you can still exercise with a pacemaker. A lady here at work got hers at the age of 27 and can not do anything.

Can't comment on the pacemaker and riding, but with atrial fibrillation you'll be on warfarin. Bit of a problem if you come off your MTB as regards internal bleeding. Speak with your physician about that. Good luck Approve