Bike Service: What Do They Do?

Elvin

So I'm clueless about what they actually do on the bike....but to my defense I'm a newbie to the sport...

So what do they do on the bike? I have a secondhand trek 1000 alpha series.

Also about how much do they charge for such a service ???

minor servise is wash, degrease, lube, set gears and check bolts. I ask R70 for that.. but it varys from shop to shop

most bigger shops in kzn charge 180 to 220.

would that be for a minor or full service?

I now have an idea about what they do in a minor service, what do they do in a major service?

Major service on a road bike at my LBS would include minor service plus truing/servicing wheel hub's, BB, and head set and include labour but pay for parts on any item needing replacement. scotty2009-10-12 00:45:43

Back in the days they would service hubs & BB & headset. Replace cables (all cables) take off deraileurs- chain cassette, clean them up on the parafine bin. put back on, re- index the ders- and pollins the frame up to look like new. In 1999 that costed R250.. what does hat cost today? do they still take your parts off, wash and replace cables?

I dont know anymore as I do all my own stuff.