Dirt jumping mtb suggestions

Brawler

Hi all.

New here Smile

Used to do a lot of BMX riding as a teen and miss dirt jumping and messing about riding street. Now that im older I would like to get back into it but this time on a MTB.

I had a Cannondale F7 which I sold a few days ago - was a good bike but wasn't built for what I had in mind if you know what I mean Big%20smile

I have got about R10k for a new bike - currently looking at the Giant STP 1 (2010) which retails for around R9k.

Overview:

Key Upgrades (over STP SS):

? Marzocchi Dirt Jumper 2, 100mm suspension fork

? Truvativ Hussefelt crankset, Howitzer bottom bracket

? SRAM X.4 rear trigger, X.5 rear derailleur

? WTB Dual Duty FR rim/GIANT Tracker (f)/Formula ®

hub, wheelset

http://www2.giant-bicycles.com/en-IN/bikes/model/stp.1/5477/38129/

Any comments on it? or any suggestions on other bikes?

Also which bike stores in Cape Town are decent? I am new here.

Thanks

Welcome Brawler. I have not the faintest idea about dirt jumoing except that it results in broken faces, shoulders and wallets. Good luck.

Hey Brawler, welcome to The Hub! are you looking for a new or second hand bike? there are some GT Chuckers, mongoose fireballs ect going around on The Hub so have a look at them, search the siteSmile

Good stores would be crown cycles, bridge cycles, cycle lab, and BMC from my experiance....I would give you contact details but I dont have any, just google thier names.

Im not that experianced with DJ's but im sure that many others are, also post some more bike ideas and someone will help you outThumbs%20Up

Also if you staying in the Cape, we got some AWESOME DH trails, maybe check out some DH bikes? you can get a pretty reasnable bike with 9k, theyre allot more fun than hardtailsTongue

Welcome Brawler. I have not the faintest idea about

dirt jumoing except that it results in broken faces' date=' shoulders and

wallets. Good luck.[/quote']

Sounds funBig%20smile

Hey Brawler' date=' welcome to The Hub! are you looking for a

new or second hand bike? there are some GT Chuckers, mongoose fireballs

ect going around on The Hub so have a look at them, search the siteSmile

Good stores would be crown cycles, bridge cycles, cycle lab, and

BMC from my experiance....I would give you contact details but I dont

have any, just google thier names.

Im not that experianced with DJ's but im sure that many others are, also post some more bike ideas and someone will help you outThumbs%20Up
[/quote']

Preferably new but if a sweet 2nd hand deal comes my way I will be keen

to check it out. How are city cycles? Thats who I got the quote from.

Also if you staying in the Cape' date=' we got some AWESOME DH trails, maybe check out some DH bikes? you can get a pretty reasnable bike with 9k, theyre allot more fun than hardtailsTongue[/quote']

Im in Rondebosch - Would be cool to get a DH but they seem pricey.. Doesn't help having a few really expensive hobbies Cry

The STP is great, it'll do the job fine, so will a GT Ruckus. If you want to go a little cheaper, look at the Mongoose Ritual.

Oh, and don't listen to jrussell, hardtail is the way to go! smiley17.gif

Just had a look at the Ritual-Hi. Its a tiny bit more than the STP1 but much better specced - avid juicy hydrualics etc.

Hey Brawler, welcom to the Hub. I too have been keeping an eye out for a jump bike (I'm hoping to pick something up 2nd hand). That said I also have zero jumping experiance but psyched to learn. The thing is the jumps along the 'spruit seem quite serious and the small ones that were there have been upgraded.

I've been thinking about maybe cutting/building a pump track just upsteam of the existing jumps (far side of the martial arts building) to (a) learn how to pump properly smiley2.gif and (b) learn how to jump on more reasonable sized jumps. What are peoples thoughts on this and would others be keen to help out to build?

Looks like I've made this post all about me smiley9.gif. Sorry for the hi-jack Brawler. Good luck with finding the right bike.

STP always receives rave reviews. So it'll be a safe bet. Other options are GT Ruckus or Chucker, Mongoose Fireball and a couple of DMR frames / complete bikes.

Am looking for a DJ bike for myself and will hopefully pull the trigger before the end of next week.

If I can find the business card of the guy who does custom ano and powder coating jobs this what my DJ bike will look like

20091016_020810_green_mamba.jpg

STP always receives rave reviews. So it'll be a safe bet. Other options are GT Ruckus or Chucker' date=' Mongoose Fireball and a couple of DMR frames / complete bikes.

Am looking for a DJ bike for myself and will hopefully pull the trigger before the end of next week.[/quote']

Any bike shops in CPT keep stock? The Mongoose Ritual-Hi looks quite decent I just need to find out how much it will be locally:

http://www.mongoose.com/usa/eng/mtn/Products/Mountain-Pavement/Jumping/Details/2827-M10RITDH-Ritual-Dirt-Hi

• Frame: Full CroMo Urban/jump w/ micro horizontal dropouts & derailleur hanger; Intergrated headset and ISCG mount
    • Fork: Marzocchi Dirt Jumper 2 100mm travel, 20 mm thru axle, rebound and air preload adjust
    • Crankset / Chainwheel: Gravity Moto X 36T Steel ring and cromo pedal inserts
    • Bottom Bracket: FSA MegaExo
    • Pedals: Mongoose alloy platform w/ replaceable pins
    • Rear Derailleur: SRAM X.7
    • Shifters: SRAM X.7 Impulse trigger
    • Cog set: SRAM PG950 11-26T
    • Chain: KMC Z-9200
    • Rims: Alienation 440
    • Front Hub: Formula alloy disc 20mm thru
    • Rear Hub: Formula alloy disc freehub w/ nutted axle
    • Spokes: 14g stainless
    • Tires: ( f ) Kenda Small Block Eight 26x2.35

( r ) Kenda K-Rad 26x2.3

• Front Brake: AVID Juicy3 Hydraulic Disc

w/ 160 mm rotors

• Rear Brake: AVID Juicy3 Hydraulic Disc

w/ 160 mm rotors

• Brake Levers: AVID Juicy3 with tool free reach adjust
    • Handlebar: FUNN Full On, 25.4x50x710mm; 7075 alloy
    • Stem: Mongoose Ultralight BMX 50 mm
    • Headset: 1-1/8" internal (campy fit)
    • Grips: Mongoose Kraton
    • Saddle: Mongoose Jump seat
    • Seat Post: 27.2 Alloy Micro Adjust
    • Seat Clamp: built into frame
    • Extras: MRP Party Crasher Lite bash ring; MRP SB-3 CHAIN TENSIONE

Hey Brawler,

I am selling a GT ruckus UF steel that I brought in from the UK.  Its in great nic.  Only reason I am selling is because I already have a DJ rig here and could not get it over my heart to leave my bike in London.

Its a great setup and a really great little bike.

The bike is standing at a bikeshop in Paarl, if you want it I can collect it from them.

PM me if you are interested, I'll send some pics etc over.

Here's my old ad:

https://www.bikehub.co.za/forum_posts.asp?TID=54222&KW=ruckus&PN=3

nox11112009-10-16 02:41:06

Thanks for the offer but really not keen on Suntour forks, also the price seems a little steep.

The STP SS is less than a grand more brand new with Moz Dj3's.