Amashova Crash

Aurora

So, 'the mat had flipped and distracted the cyclists'. Seems more like the mat distracted and flipped the cyclists.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For non-Durbanites' date=' this made the front page of The Mercury today:

20091019_060201_Shova.Mercury.F.jpg

Cheers,

Andrew[/quote']

burry had the sense to bunny hop... why didnt the others

cos he's a mountain biker? smiley4.gif

I think hats off the the timing guys' date=' how many massive events have they pulled off without anything like this before. I would like to commend the Racetec team for the work and the quality of their results. I see people moaning about this, but little do these people realise, this Cpt based firm often only land back in Cpt with equipment late sunday night, and results are usually available by the time you get into your office monday morning. Phenomenal! keep up the good work. its a real shame that this accident happened.

[/quote']

I had an issue with WT (Racetec) due to the slowness (relative) of them

releasing results, the lack of information on their results page (Club,

...) until I did not get an Argus result one year. They bent over backwards

to help me and I finally got an official finishing time. Yay!

I then had a problem with CC who told me to stuff off and I never received

a time for my Wilro 100 this year (my tandem partner did, though - so

he finished, but his pilot didn't - go figure). Boo!

I have now figured out that I would rather get my result on Monday,

than no result on Sunday.

I now try to avoid CC timed races.

For non-Durbanites' date=' this made the front page of The Mercury today:

20091019_060201_Shova.Mercury.F.jpg

Cheers,

Andrew[/quote']

House of Pain?

2 words:     Masking DUCT tape

thats better Approve
Thumbs%20Up

That stuff is worth it's weight in gold' date=' working in film and stills production we use it extensively to secure equipment down. Tripods, wiring, people etc ...[/quote']

wouldn't it get as slippery road markings if it was wet?

Not at all, besides you get different types as well. If it were used on the matts it would be crossways to the approach of riders.

2 words:     Masking DUCT tape

thats better Approve
Thumbs%20Up

That stuff is worth it's weight in gold' date=' working in film and stills production we use it extensively to secure equipment down. Tripods, wiring, people etc ...[/quote']

wouldn't it get as slippery road markings if it was wet?

Not at all, besides you get different types as well. If it were used on the matts it would be crossways to the approach of riders.

then maybe they should make road marking out of duct tape smiley4.gif

Guest Michelle

By the way, it wasn't the lead motorbike, it was the TV camera bike. This bike crosses the line with the bunch at almost every race they go to. At Race 4 Victory I couldn't get the "victory" photo because the bike was between myself & Jay, it was that close.... the same thing happened at Lost City, and the Zoo Lake Crit.

Reinhardt Janse van Rensburg has complained about this motorbike being in the way of the sprint.. (maybe he could clarify which race this was)

In any first world country they would have a stationary camera at the finish, guess in SA they can only afford one TV camera so it has to go over the line with the bunch if they want to get the footage???

What was amazing was the speed at which they found the tape after the crash... maybe they just forgot to put it on??

It was still a motorbike which shouldn't have been there - lead, tv, photographer, whichever. What we now need is more elites to speak up and complain about it been too close. If Reinhardt can then the others must as well.

WOW' date=' this is bad.

I was amazed to see the disorganization at this race, no expo, no goodie bag, "sorry we do not have any t-shirts in your ordered size"(why have those sizes then on the website, and it is not that they run out, they NEVER had anything bigger than L) no info on road closures, so a visiting person can find their way to PM in the morning...

......and now this is just the cherry on the cake...

VERY badly organised and managed race....

Hope these guys heal up quick
smiley18.gif [/quote']

I know the accident was 1 000 000 000 000 times more serious as not getting a goodie bag,but isn't that pathetic as well---you pay alot to enter and with some small races you get nice goodiebags ? or am I wrong ?

WOW' date=' this is bad.

I was amazed to see the disorganization at this race, no expo, no goodie bag, "sorry we do not have any t-shirts in your ordered size"(why have those sizes then on the website, and it is not that they run out, they NEVER had anything bigger than L) no info on road closures, so a visiting person can find their way to PM in the morning...

......and now this is just the cherry on the cake...

VERY badly organised and managed race....

Hope these guys heal up quick
smiley18.gif [/quote']

I know the accident was 1 000 000 000 000 times more serious as not getting a goodie bag,but isn't that pathetic as well---you pay alot to enter and with some small races you get nice goodiebags ? or am I wrong ?

goodie bags are a dying breed....Big%20smile we just have to get use to the idea that sponsors/companies don't give free stuff away as much as they use toCry 

goodie bags are a dying breed....Big%20smile we just have to get use to the idea that sponsors/companies don't give free stuff away as much as they use toCry 

Jaaaa you are right---but its still LEKKE to receive a nice goodie bag !!!

Maybe I am just in a semi bad mood, but sometimes all this moaning just gets to me. Really people, when you find the perfect race, please just go and ride that. And be sure to not be the one to spoil it for the others.

I wonder where that will be tho .... in Mexico you might get hit by a drunken driver (there MUST be a pic out there to prove it!), in Spain the roads get so slippery that it can bring a whole peloton down, especially round a traffic circle, France is just atrocious - there horses run wild, people let their dogs out, photographers jump in the road. Please also avoid SA, esp cape town, where there is a water shorttage and lead vehicles might take you up strange alleys.

Look - mistakes where made and people got hurt (and other people had a great day getting great pics because if it!) - but really, is it necc to moan about it for 8 pages.

Maybe i'm just in a bad mood ... Where's Joe Low in times like these??

There will always be a % of people that are not happy with a race but in all honesty what happened at the finish is not acceptable. There are a small % of guys and girls that get a chance to win the race and they should get an open road to do it. We dont like racing against bikes and cars and taxi's on the road during training rides, why should the riders lives be at risk because it is a race?