fat loss training

hey guys,

I am getting back on a mtb after about 6 years and an extra 20kgs of weight!

what is the best way to train to loose the extra weight? long rides or short intense sessions?

thanks

Both. Start of with more long duration - low intensity exercise to get ur base up. Then start with some intervals...focus on training for performance...when ur on your bike u shud not be thinking about losing kgs, u shud be thinking about improving ur aerobic and anearobic energy systems.

When you're off the bike follow good nutrition principles, such as 6 meals a day to speed up your metabolism, and subsequently burn more fat. Dont starve yourself tho...you need food to replace the energy burned thru training. You need food high in energy, low in saturated fats, and low in fibre.

At the beginning of my preseason, 4 months ago, I was 77kgs. Now I'm 69kgs...its what you put in AND how hard you are willing to train

train hard...eat cleverly

I agree with slipstream sean. Started little over 6 weeks ago sticking to a better diet after winter. I've lost 5kgs and not in a unhealthy way. Most impressively my body fat decreased from 12.9% to 9.1%. Eating 6 small meals a day goes a long way to boosting metabolic rates and burning fat. Also limit bad sugars.

Good question...well you require lots of food high in energy throughout the day to ensure that you meet your energy needs, i.e. you need to replace all the energy lost through training otherwise performance will drop and you can endanger your health.

Now fibre is your roughage...it makes you full. Food that is high in fibre will fill you up quicker than low fibre foodstuffs, which means you will end up eating less. This could jeopardize you meeting your energy requirements because you need to eat lots of food.

Oh and dont try stuff yourself with food either, and try meet your energy requirements in one meal, its not gonna happen. Studies have shown that food is more effectively and quickly digested when eaten in smaller quantities. Energy drinks are useful in restoring energy balance cuz some people cant eat a lot.

well i have not been on a bike in about 6 years so dont think i got any performance to improve on!

really want to shed some pounds and be able to do some multi day events

Apparantly weight loss is 75% and 25% exercise. This based on a study where one group of people cut there calorie intake by a certain amount and did no extra exercise while another group cut used up a similar amount of calories through exercise but kept there calorie intake the same. Those people that cut there calorie intake lost 3 times as much weight as those that exercised. Not sure that the study was deemed to be conclusive.

I found that I was able to get pretty fit without losing any weight and only took the weight off when I started to controll calorie intake. I have lost 18kg (from 92kg to 74kg) in the past 18 months. Made a big impact on my ability to go up hills.

Start with low intensity, long duration(build up to longer distances) for a few weeks to get a base, then start doing some intervals. Intervals promote the burning of fat following exercise.

Apparantly weight loss is 75% and 25% exercise. This based on a study where one group of people cut there calorie intake by a certain amount and did no extra exercise while another group cut used up a similar amount of calories through exercise but kept there calorie intake the same. Those people that cut there calorie intake lost 3 times as much weight as those that exercised. Not sure that the study was deemed to be conclusive.

I found that I was able to get pretty fit without losing any weight and only took the weight off when I started to controll calorie intake. I have lost 18kg (from 92kg to 74kg) in the past 18 months. Made a big impact on my ability to go up hills.

Oh, so thats why ur HappyMartinLOL

The biggest challenge is to cut down on the food, I find no issue with the morning, afternoon meal but when it comes to supper, over feed, I have tried to eat something around 15H00, and then have dinner by 18H00 latest, but still find it hard to not over eat, maybe it is not how much I eat at 15H00 but what I eat...that determines the stavation at 18H00.

Wheight can be deceiving - you can be 80kg of lean muscle or a blob of fat of 80kg. Everyone knows exercise builds muscle and muscle wheighs about 2X more per volume (I think)...

The group that cut their calorie intake alone, built no muscle through exercise. Another known fact is that if you expend more than you take in, you will lose wheight.

The group that exercised as well, built muscle but lost fat in the process. They will wheigh the same or more, but will be thinner...

There is a nice program to follow to loose that extra kg

Its called weight watchers

My wifes belong to it for a week

basically all the foods got points you calculate you points a day and not aloud to consume more than what you are suppose to take. example coffee with no sugar but full cream milk is already 3 points and she is only aloud to take 20 point a day so black coffee with no sugar is 0 points. if you exercise you get points again.

she lost 2.7kg in her first week (no medicine or injections or any thing just watch what you're eating)

20kg's phew thats alot of pies! haha...umm... Long hours in the saddle will do the trick but...who's got the time? I lost 10kg just by eating less..nothing else! ....and...NO CHEESE! stay away from the CHEESE!

There is a nice program to follow to loose that extra kg

Its called weight watchers

My wifes belong to it for a week

basically all the foods got points you calculate you points a day and not aloud to consume more than what you are suppose to take. example coffee with no sugar but full cream milk is already 3 points and she is only aloud to take 20 point a day so black coffee with no sugar is 0 points. if you exercise you get points again.

she lost 2.7kg in her first week (no medicine or injections or any thing just watch what you're eating)

Yip, that sounds like a practical way of doing it. But it's not rocket science...READ FOOD LABELS, eat healthy and nutritious foods and exercise regularly and you'll shread kilos. Eating healthy becomes a habit...a lifestyle, just like making ur bed, scrubbing your teeth etc, doesnt require a lot of work or hectic science once you get the hang of it. You just have to determine which foods a good...food labels

BRITISH HEALTH INSTITUTE DIET

According to literature on this diet it must be followed exactly as it is to lose 4.5kg in 3 days. This is not a starvation diet. It works on reducing the total carbohydrates that you need. It does not eliminate them altogether because, carbohydrates are an essential part of your diet.

?     Tea and coffee always black, no sugar or with artificial sweetener;

?     Toast dry ? no margarine

?     Use Tuna in Brine or water not oil

?     Do not vary or substitute any of the above foods

?     Salt and pepper can be used ? no other dressing

?     Drink enough water.

?     Exercise regularly, at least 4 times a week

?     After 3 days on this diet (you will lose 4.5kg) you can then eat ?normally? for the rest of the week. But you have to keep the principles the same ? no fried foods, limit sugar intake, and restrict carbohydrates in your supper/ dinner.

?     After 4 days of ?normal? eating start back on the 3-day diet.

?     If you stick to this diet, you will loose up to 15kg in 2 months.

DAY 1             DAY 2             DAY 3

Breakfast:      Breakfast:     Breakfast:

? Grapefruit     1 Banana     One Slice Cheddar/ Cheese

2 slices Toast     2 slices Toast     5 Provita biscuits

2 Tablespoons Peanut butter     One Egg     One medium size Apple

Tea or Coffee     Tea or Coffee     Tea or Coffee

Lunch:             Lunch:                      Lunch:

? Cup Tuna     ? Cup Cottage Cheese     One hard Boiled Egg

2 slices Toast     5 Provita biscuits     2 slices Toast

Tea or Coffee     Tea or Coffee     Tea or Coffee

Dinner:                    Dinner:                    Dinner:

2 Slices any cold Meat     2 Vienna Sausages     ? Cup Tuna