Juicy 5 brakes and gear shifters

mtbN00b

personal preference. shimano or sram (or microshift/token). then depends what you can afford, & if u a weight weenie, what you like the look of etc...

Well the shifters and brakes are separate systems, so it doesn't really matter what shifters you use with juicy 5. I've just switched to grip shifters, done about 300km with them and I love them, but its all up to personal preference.

what is good shifters that I can look at?

I am fairly new to the whole cycling thing - does not worry about the weight but have a limited cycling budget Confused

I have the following (hope it is the correct names)

* Shimano Altus front derailer

* Shimano Acera Rear Derailer

Which will work best?

1) Shimano SLX M660 SHifters

2) SRAM X-7 Trigger Shifter

3) SRAM X-7 Twist Shifter

or any other recommendations?

sram shifters wont work, so go for SLX, or XT if the price difference isnt too much. XTR is better than XT, but is a lot more expensive - it would be better to spend that kind of cash upgrading the whole drivetrain instead.

sram shifters wont work' date=' so go for SLX, or XT if the price difference isnt too much. XTR is better than XT, but is a lot more expensive - it would be better to spend that kind of cash upgrading the whole drivetrain instead.[/quote']

I'm curious...why won't SRAM shifters work? You get an 8 speed as well as a 9 speed version.

Mandibles2009-11-02 01:34:49

sram shifters wont work' date=' so go for SLX, or XT if the price difference isnt too much. XTR is better than XT, but is a lot more expensive - it would be better to spend that kind of cash upgrading the whole drivetrain instead.[/quote']

I'm curious...why won't Sram X-7 shifters work? You get an 8 speed as well as a 9 speed version.

Yeah I am also curious!! Please advise why they won't work. I have Sram X-9 with Avid Elixir 5's and they work perfectly.

Just a question don't Sram also own Avid???

As a matter of interest the Shifters and the brakes are totally independant components you can use any combination together i.e. Sram shifters Shimano brakes, Sram Shifters Hayes brakes and the list goes on and on.Confused

just one question - does certain shifters only work on certain derailers?

what should i keep in mind when buying shifters?

just use shimano shifters with shimano derailers and sram shifters with sram derailers, although the front derailure doesn't matter.

just use shimano shifters with shimano derailers and sram shifters with sram derailers' date=' although the front derailure doesn't matter.[/quote']

I posted the wrong links in my initial post above. Should have been the Attack models:

I looked at the pdf file below and it states that it is compatible with Shimano rear derailleurs. The links above also mention that it is compatible with Shimano rear derailleurs. I know most of the SRAM shifters are 1:1 but you also get 2:1.

Surely this model would work?