Newbie Help

Hi Everyone

Let me start by introducing myself . My name is adrian and i am from New Germany in KZN . 29 years of age and on my way to becomming a MTB person . I have recently bought a Silverback Oakland 2010 model and all other imaginable gear i will need to get me comfotable in the sport . I am super keen and have started riding a bit on the road for now and hopefully will get into the bush soon . I am in desperate need of some knowledge , i am looking to start my first race in feb next year and this hopefully will be the Wartburg classics 45 or 50 KM not too sure . Please can someone advise on rides i should be doing in the next 2 months in order to train successfully and of course any tips are greatly appreciated . Thanks so much in advance

Regards

Adrian

Hi Everyone

I have recently bought a Silverback Oakland 2010 model

HI and welcome to the hub and the darkside of cycling ...

i do not have much info on training etc for you - also just started about 4 months ago.

How is your bike? do you like it and are you satisfied with it? I am looking at the same one for my girlfriend who also wants to start mountain biking.

ang good luck and enjoy

mtbN00b2009-11-03 00:34:18

Hi Everyone

i do not have much info on training etc for you - also just started about 4 months ago.

How is your bike? do you like it and are you satisfied with it? I am looking at the same one for my girlfriend who also wants to start mountain biking.

ang good luck and enjoy

I am very happy with the bike granted i have only done 80 or km's with it(still very early days) , i have had no problems at all . But all i said i am still a newbie and have not tried lots of bike . The appealing thing was the price as it was R500 cheaper than the 2009 model at other bike shops and the look was majorly upgraded from the plain silver 2009 . My thoughts were for just over R2100 i cant really go wrong . The mother of pearl paintjob looks great and although not 100% practical i just give it a good clean after each ride . I think a bike that is eye appealing will make me want to ride it more - crazy to some but makes sense to me . Hope this helps

Hi Adrian

Welcome to the hub, and welcome to MTB!  (You made the right choice Evil%20Smile)

In terms of races, dont take it too serious, I wanted to 'overtrain' so much before racing and a buddy convinced me to just go for it.  And it was awesome!!

Just training the whole time dampens the motivation a bit, do small races to keep the interest up (Babbas Lodge has an excellent 35km for guys getting started - 16 Dec if im correct)

You'll slowly build up to the longer distances!

Enjoy!

Hi Rocky. Welcome to the Hub.

I started out with 20 km rides at a medium intensity. No need to kill yourself in the beginning. On weekends do a longer 3 hr ride to build up stamina.

Ride on the road first to get fit, helps tremendously with enjoyment of mtb'ing. Do fit slicks for the road though, much better.

Hit the trails as often as you can. My 2c.

Bought my wife an Oakland as well, reasonable starter bike for price.

Also helps to get bike set up properly seeing as you will be spending lots of time on it.

Hi Everyone

ang good luck and enjoy

I am very happy with the bike granted i have only done 80 or km's with it(still very early days) ' date=' i have had no problems at all . But all i said i am still a newbie and have not tried lots of bike . The appealing thing was the price as it was R500 cheaper than the 2009 model at other bike shops and the look was majorly upgraded from the plain silver 2009 . My thoughts were for just over R2100 i cant really go wrong . The mother of pearl paintjob looks great and although not 100% practical i just give it a good clean after each ride . I think a bike that is eye appealing will make me want to ride it more - crazy to some but makes sense to me . Hope this helps
[/quote']

the paint job looks very nice. I am going to buy her one and what some people told me about the previous Oakland models - you can not go wrong with it.

good luck with the training and just enjoy it

Thanks guys for the responses and the best thing i think(as per previous post) is to just enjoy the riding and not get too stressed . Spend as much time in the saddle and just enjoy the experince .Obviously monitor progress and each time go a bit further and build up the km's . Thanks guys  

Rockey.

Welcome dude.  Cycling for sure is the BEST sport out there....prepare to get addicted!

For now, ride as much as you can.  Don't worry too much about structure and programs etc.

The rule is that if you train on a regular basis, lets say 20km, you will be able to finish a race of 40km with comfort.  Finish not win!  Wink

ENJOY every ride you do and you will be fine!!! 

Welcome Bud

I started out earlier this year by just commuting 6km to work everyday. As mentioned just get some time in the saddle.

On races, just do the funrides to get your feet wet if you feel your not up to 30km.

Most important, have fun !!!

Get into the bush as soon as you can.  MTBs are supposed to be ridden in the mud.  And enjoy it (falling over is part of the overall experience).Thumbs%20Up

hi Adrian,

like the rest say, spend lots of time in the saddle, to get your cycling legs, although this can take up to two years. If you can ride twice during the week and a long ride on the weekend then you should be fine. Giba gorge is just around the corner from you and has some nice technical stuff to train on. also join a club so you can ride with a group and get help/advice from them. There is a race this weekend at Hilton, many distances to choose from and another on the 15th at mooi river. start with the intermediate races and have fun. check out entrytime.com and the roag website for upcoming races. see you on the track.

James

Hi Adrian. I got the Silverback Oakland at the beginning of this year and rode my first race in February (I think) which was the Wartburg one... it was just an awesome day out in the saddle, you'll really enjoy it, and raced the 105km hill2hill not so long ago, it's a good bike. You don't mention how fit you are, but like everyone else has said, just put time into the saddle.

One thing I must point out is that riding on the road and riding on the dirt are two different things! Try get out to Giba or the Ballito place (can't remember the name) and get out on the dirt. Oh and find hills, lots of them :)

Thats Holla Trails out in Ballito..havent been there myself but I hear good things. If you thinking of doing Mad Max in Mooi River on the 15th let me know..am doing it as a social ride and not racing. Might be nice to have company

I'm still deciding about Mad Max, I'm in Hillcrest so not sure yet if I wanna drive all that way, especially since I could just spend the day at Giba... If I do go it will definitely be a social ride, I'm no race snake! Are you doing it?

Yup I will be at Mad Max.Can understand that its a little out of the way for you..luckily for me I am a lot closer lol. Also going to do the Exped on 22 Nov.

Was hoping to ride in Hilton this weekend too but have had to skip it.