Mavic tubelss valve and tyre installation

Hog_

My new wheelset just landed with Mavic 823 rims. Now before I break something (or myself), can anyone give me pointers on the installation?

First, the valve. Do I just screw it in with the little o-ring on the outside?

Then the tyres. Is it the same as if I'm running rim strips? Meaning first seat them using soap water on the rim, and then deflate, add sealant and inflate again?

Never had a problem inflating.

When installing the tyre, make sure both beads are together and fit into the groove in the rim. This will save you some broken tyre levers and fingers when you feed it all the way round.

yip...just don't over-tighten it otherwise you can pull the rubber grommet off the end of the valve and you'll be in for another R120 :)

And as I found out the other day, make sure you can undo the whole thing whilst out on a ride. Needed to fit a tube but could not loosen the nut to take the valve out. So finger tighten is more than enough. 

If you are not familiar with seating tubeless propose that you fit the valves, put the tyre on the rim and zip upto to the garage and use the compressor, making sure you have a presta valve connection

Sukkeled my ass off last week. Mounted non-UST Schwalbe tyres on UST rims. They didn't want to inflate. I put a tube in and had the tire sit like that for a day to get the shape of the rim and get into the "top groove" that my Mavic rims have. Took the tube out, and tyres inflated the first time. Deflated, added sealant and inflated. They are now ROCK solid. It is still a good idea to use a bit of soapy water on the bead, will help them pop out easier.

You shall now discover the wonderful world of 2bliss

Just bang the tyres on,chuck in some sealant and pump it up with a normal floor pump.No soap no buggerall

Oh yes dont overtighten the valve...but dont be scared of it.Fitted plench and never had a problem.

Oh, I used valves cut out from old road tubes. Good idea to put some sealant on the valve where it goes through the valve hole before putting the lockring on. Just makes for a good seal.

Sukkeled my ass off last week. Mounted non-UST Schwalbe tyres on UST rims. They didn't want to inflate. I put a tube in and had the tire sit like that for a day to get the shape of the rim and get into the "top groove" that my Mavic rims have. Took the tube out' date=' and tyres inflated the first time. Deflated, added sealant and inflated. They are now ROCK solid. It is still a good idea to use a bit of soapy water on the bead, will help them pop out easier.
[/quote']

Azonic you legend. Clap

I have to attempt this exercise this weekend as well, thanks for the pointers. I also though about going the tube route first and then try removing the tube without unsettling the "seated" bead on one side and then hoping for the best re-inflating it. 
chickenrun4me2009-11-05 06:17:28

Thanks for the tips. I've got the tyres installed. They're non-tubeless so I'll try the foot-pump now, but I'm sure I'll need the soap water.

OK as a general question how easy are non-UST tyres to seat compared to proper UST?

I've been tempted to try non-UST to save some weight...

Confused

Scuse me but if you have gone to the trouble to get 2bliss rims why are you buggering around with non 2bliss tyres,forget the floor pump and head for the service station.Plus you must put plenty snot.

Confused

Scuse me but if you have gone to the trouble to get 2bliss rims why are you buggering around with non 2bliss tyres

X823 is not a tubeless rim.

X819 is the tubeless one. (my rim of choice)

Confused

Scuse me but if you have gone to the trouble to get 2bliss rims why are you buggering around with non 2bliss tyres
X823 is not a tubeless rim.X819 is the tubeless one. (my rim of choice)

The 823 is not a tubeless rim? smiley5.gif

So why does it have no spoke holes, and it comes with the little tubeless valves? Because Mavic thinks it's fun to screw with people's heads? smiley5.gif

Anyway...

I didn't feel like doing the whole floor-pump until you're blue in the face routine, so I just installed the tyres with tubes for now. Will rip the tubes out on Saturday, that should be enough time for them to settle.