Rietvlei the right choice?

thehermanator

On Saturday I set out to ride at Rietvlei, it rained quite a bit the previous evening so it was muddy and wet (no problem I love muddy and wet). My first 100m on the trail (the grassy bit that goes trough the open velt) and my wheels caked up so badly I could hardly move. I understood that that section will be eliminated from the 24 hours race if it?s too wet ? ok so let?s not take that section into account then. <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I then started riding in the single track, I slipped and slide trough it, and trying to keep my balance trough the narrow bends. I once again had no traction. What usually should have been an easy track turned into a nightmare.

I eventually abandoned my ride after only 35 minutes. There is no way I found this enjoyable at all.

I then headed to Northern Farms. It was even, muddier and wetter, that at Rietvlei. But hey no problem there, no slipping no loss of traction, no near dismounts. My tyres were not caked up with mud and my ride was so much more enjoyable.

So this is the point I would like to make. Was this the right choice to change the venue for the 24 hour race to Rietvlei?

Lets just say it might rain the day before, or during the event we are going to find it very difficult to manoeuvre ourselves trough the track. Adding night time and loads of people and were in for a though time.  

There's certainly a big chance of rain during the event. At Northern Farm during the 2008 24hr, only the section after the tunnel stayed muddy after the storm, and dried up quickly the next morning...

It was fun riding there...  

Diffucult to please everyone, 2006 complaints it was too short, 2007 complaints it was too long.

If it were up to me it would have wide gravel road and jeep track's with NO climbs albeit boring.

had a reccie of the route...and some unintentional detours smiley9.gif ...yesterday...all on a bike i felt would be unsuitable for the course after hearing all the moans about it being too tough...all i have to say is tough takkie...this is mountain biking. like africa, this sport was not made for sissies. apparently, according to the peeps at cyclehub we chatted to, it's been dumbed down from the original route. i loved it. suck it up. it's gonna be fun...

had a reccie of the route...and some unintentional detours smiley9.gif ...yesterday...all on a bike i felt would be unsuitable for the course after hearing all the moans about it being too tough...all i have to say is tough takkie...this is mountain biking. like africa' date=' this sport was not made for sissies. apparently, according to the peeps at cyclehub we chatted to, it's been dumbed down from the original route. i loved it. suck it up. it's gonna be fun...[/quote']

Some say it has spoilt it a bit for us locals after the 24 hour has passed but ja .....

had a reccie of the route...and some unintentional detours smiley9.gif ...yesterday...all on a bike i felt would be unsuitable for the course after hearing all the moans about it being too tough...all i have to say is tough takkie...this is mountain biking. like africa' date=' this sport was not made for sissies. apparently, according to the peeps at cyclehub we chatted to, it's been dumbed down from the original route. i loved it. suck it up. it's gonna be fun...[/quote']

?

Some say it has spoilt it a bit for us locals after the 24 hour has passed but ja .....

it was soooooo funny that it was your phonecall and not my little lie-down that caused the ringing in my ears...

Hi BB / Scotty

I was wondering, I have this ummm "friend" who might be errrr interested in trying out mtb'ing, do they hire bikes at Rietvlei and, if so, any idea how much?

Hi Joe, yes they definitely do so your 'friend' can for sure try it out. I will let you know in a bit how much ....

Last time i was in his shop Wendel had some demo bikes, pity i sold the Trek you used last time as you ummm friend could have borrowed that.

Joe, you can hire a bike for R100!! If it's over the weekend you can hire it from 8am to 1pm. During the week from 8am to 5pm.

A lot of work has gone into making this course 24 hour friendly (ie dumbing it down for non mtb riders and corporates). However at the end of the day, it is an MTB race. So if you fit, strong and have a little technical skills you will have a 24 hour you will never forget.

It will be hard. It definitly isn't NF. However it will be awesome.  

Thanks folks for the info.

If they were gonna dumb it down enough for me I think they'd better start tarring it.

Thanks folks for the info.

If they were gonna dumb it down enough for me I think they'd better start tarring it.

If memory serves correctly, Wendel did offer.

holy is it ridable??? (am i a sissie?) it's too late now, i've already entered ... but do i need to update my medical aid and insurance policies before i go ride there?