Cramps discussion

SeaBee

If you do cramp:

Change to a slightly harder gear but lower the cadence significantly. This activates the golgi tendon organ and will help delay the cramping. You will eventually cramp if you continue riding. If you are unable to ride' date=' get off, stretch the affected area continuously for a few minutes or until the cramps abate and then continue.
[/quote']

If I had seen this post a few weeks ago I would have thought...rubbish, but resently I've discovered that what 'The Doctor' has said is for some reason(for which im not entirely sure) may well be true.

I summized that pedalling at a high cadence saved your muscles, based on my knowledge that longer muscle contractions(low cadences) starve the muscles of blood , and therefore oxygen, for longer(because when a muscle contracts blood can not flow to the muscle). So I figured quicker contraction resulted in a frequent and steady flow of blood, and it feels like your muscles are working less...and will take longer to reach fatigue.

However I have been cramping more at my higher cadences than I used to, and I find than when I begin to twitch, that if I select a heavier gear it feels better, this could be a relief due to the fact that the muscles are contracting differently. So someone cramping in a heavier gear im sure would find relief in a higher cadence. But there may be some truth to ur theory Doc.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Prevention is better than cure. To prevent cramping, train more intelligently, more distance and some increase in intensity every few days. Stretching should be included in any training program and will go a far way in assisting in the prevention of cramps. I disagree with the advice of training at race intensity. This may be beneficial in stopping cramps, however from a performance point of view, it is hardly ideal as any training program should follow a scientifically based periodised system. All the factors of the individual should be taken into account. 

This is quite a topic to chat about, as my fix won't be your fix... So prevention is indeed better than cure.

1. Stretching is your friend.

2. Warm up before races. The high intensity is not expected by your muscles, as you do not train this way. Either train yourself for a intensive start or take your stationary trainer along, and at a high cadence under small load, "spin" for about 5-10 minutes before the race. You'll also be calmer, as the adrenalin of the event will not build up and screw up you starting plans.

3. Get variations in your training. I battle with cramps in my calves... Thus I do high cadence, high load and something in between. But, that is not all... Do calve extensions twice a week. Start with smaller reps (eg 8, 8, 12 & 10, 10, 14 & 12, 12, fail - or until you cannot any more). This also applies to leg extensions for upper leg or hamstring curls.

4. DO not forget about your diet. Not too much salt and a multi Vitamin - this will assist your body in absorption of all nutritional gooddies in your food, including the salt.

5. Last but not least - Rest. Your mind and body needs it!

I cramped regular competing in 75km events using 20-30km training rides as the norm. Once i lengthened my training rides to between 40-50km, the cramps stopped. No change in frequency of training rides........Smile

OK I agree to an extent with the training BUT

I race MTB pretty seriously. I ride 5 days a week and at least one of those days is high intensity intervals and at least one of those days is a longer tempo ride f the same time as the race.

I still cramp at the end of a race.

I agree with the exercise theory and my cramping has become significantly less with more training.  I still cramp like clock work on the 100km of a road race though, but I find getting off and stretching only makes it worse.  Instead, I found dropping 2-3 gears and slowing down by about 20% for 10min makes the cramp go away (I tried pooring cold water on the affected leg, but doesn't seem to make a difference).

By saying that stretching is your friend, I meant pre race...

Also, something that works for me, is a massage on the affected muscle, but this is quite a mission, as I am not double jointed, and you'll cramp 9 times out of 10 out somewhere in the bundus.... So, once I used my seat post - I sat down at the water point, grab it with a hand on each side, rested my calve on it, and started working up and down. I finished the race, dead last - but that day I built character with assistance of my GT...

I think getting off your bike is a terrible idea!!!!

Yesterday in the 94.7 i tried it and i could barely stand, didn't know how to strech my legs(both quad and hammie were cramping), and so i decided i needed to sit.  Problem there is i couldn't get up again,  felt like an up side down beetle! Luckily i managed to get hold of a road sign and continue the race.

I then got to a water point where i solved all my cramping issues! I tucked ice blocks into my cycling shorts and that was the last i saw of the cramp. It was only 5km's from the finish but i started cramping at 36km's.

I'm rather proud i managed to stick it out that long but i can't even tell you how much longer cramp makes the N14 feel!  Cramp has nearly put me off cycling for good!Cry

I think getting off your bike is a terrible idea!!!!

Yesterday in the 94.7 i tried it and i could barely stand' date=' didn't know how to strech my legs(both quad and hammie were cramping), and so i decided i needed to sit.  Problem there is i couldn't get up again,  felt like an up side down beetle! Luckily i managed to get hold of a road sign and continue the race.

I then got to a water point where i solved all my cramping issues! I tucked ice blocks into my cycling shorts and that was the last i saw of the cramp. It was only 5km's from the finish but i started cramping at 36km's.

I'm rather proud i managed to stick it out that long but i can't even tell you how much longer cramp makes the N14 feel!  Cramp has nearly put me off cycling for good!Cry

[/quote']

It does get better.

So dont hang up your bike yet.

My first two argus's were horiffic.

I agree, once you stop with a cramp it is absolute hell.

But what would work is stopping when you feel twitching in your muscle.

This would be a few minutes before you felt the cramping.

A good stretch and a muscle rub good have helped alot then. But your pace would need to literally halve when you get back on the bike.

After 20-30 min you could maybe up the pace slightly, but not uphill though.

Do as many races as you can from now on and you will find your cramping  wont bother you nearly as much then.

Thanks for the inspirational words...Wink

i realise that i am a long way from being race ready i will be sure to fix that before i decide to do another 100km'er.

what did they say about Cramp block on Super Cycling? why does it not work?

knievel2009-11-16 06:15:10

ok, a few things here.

1) anti inflammatories. my doc has me on a 1 month course of the stuff due to my Planta tendon being inflamed. When i asked about exercise he said to continue cycling it should not be a problem.

2) iburfen. - 6 years back, the friday before the Argus, I was digging for something in my trailer when the lid, with the bike on top came down and hit my head. it sent my back into spasm. Stretching did not help, I got some physio the next day at the expo which atleast eased the pain for walking.

I then bought nurofen for Period Pain from a stand at the expo. This is the one with 400mg iburfen in it. I rode the Argus with this stuff in my body.

3) as has been said here. train train train. if you are doing a long race, you need to train to atleast 80% of the distance of that race. this is something I dont do (I'm lazy like that) and I find that on every race, when I get to +/- 20% of my longest training ride I start to cramp. When I change the distance of the training ride, the cramps in the race change with it.