VirginA Safe bike lockup facilities response

swsup97

I emailed the VirginActive MD to find out if the virginActive clubs could have better and safer bicycle lock up facilities - at the moment u have to leave your bike outside of the club and that is subject to a security risk .i.e theft.

This was the response i received:

Ross has

requested me to respond to you directly.

We

are currently not installing any Bicycle racks at Clubs, not even the "unsafe"

ones outside unless it is part of the Landlord's spec when we build a new Club.

A

few Clubs do have "unsafe ones" but as stated, we do not do anything new

currently.

Kind

Regards

Lameez

not the best of answers, we dont even have the "unsafe ones" the guys sommer cable them to the step poles --- not good for Virgin A,,,,,,,,Confused

About 2 years ago I also emailed a similiar suggestion to Virgin Active...

All I got was the stock standard answer - "We'll look into it."

You'd think it would be better for them as...

1. It would reduce the traffic getting in & out of the club.

2. It goes with their healthy/active image if members cycle to gym.

The ironic thing about VA is that some of their employees at the information/reception/whatever desk are overweight.

Not a good image, especially when they have all the access in the world.

They could not even get their cycling club to work never mind creating facilities for cyclists!

Also, if they install safe bicycle storage, their spinning classes will suffer.

Store the bikes in the spinning room Wink

Or even set up stationary trainers so that you can use your own bike for spinning. I know there are many problems associated with that, but it is a thought.

An LBS around here does it, and I believe quite succesfully too.

my club: the "trainers" will watch their "clients" spin/run/walk etc, while they are on the phone MXIT`ing!!!! was sitting on the row machine watching a guy, in weight probs about 150kg on the stepper with one of the so call trainers,, whilst his on this the "trainer" stood laughing behind his back with "fellow trainers" - thats not on man, i went over to her and gave her a piece of my mind!! hands  to the 150kg man who stood up and decided to gymClap

I took my bike into the reception area at the Sunninghill branch like I always did at Vodaworld and got K@Kked out from a dizzy height and forced to leave my carbon bike outside where I couldt even keep an eye on it....that was the last time they saw me. It now rests nicely in the Randburg virgin A reception area where it gets treated with respect...

I was surprised in Bloemfontein once where I was issued with a key to a lock up room full of bikes! Thumbs%20Up 

Store the bikes in the spinning room Wink

Or even set up stationary trainers so that you can use your own bike for spinning. I know there are many problems associated with that' date=' but it is a thought.

An LBS around here does it, and I believe quite succesfully too.
[/quote']

Yeah my old cyckling club in Chester had that; A spinning evening whereyou bring y9our bike and indoor trainer or you can use one from the club.

The gym down the road also thought it was a cunning plan to attract cycle club members so they had special evenings for the clubs to have a winter spinning sessions at the gym where members brought their pown bikes and indoor trainer.

Sometime SA businesses are just short sighted

Can you guys let me know which VA branch you go too, i chatted to Gerhard i think he said he was the VA national manager - looks like he might do something about it (indicated that he will take the suggestions of bike facilities and discuss it with the board at their next meeting ) or could just be "talk and no action"

It is a wait and see...

Guys either way... VA is a load of k@k... I canned my membership with them years ago. No matter what it is, its always too much effort for them to get anything done! This includes getting the booking book for the afternoons spinning class out the drawer!

Bloody hell! Most of you sound like the ANCYL!!!

WE WANT. SO YOU MUST GIVE! IF YOU NOT GIVE, I TAKE!

Let's see it from the point of VA: They install bike racks. Outside. You lock your bike in their bike rack. Your bike gets stolen. And you hold VA liable! Damn man, it is after all THEM who put the bike rack in! So it now becomes THEIR responsibillity to keep you pride and joy safe...

And thus, I don't think VA will go that route. Not that I care. I live nextdoor to the gym. So I walk!

I agree with MJ... up to a point of course. At the end of the day it's not VA's responsibility to look after your bike/car/scooter, they advertise their services as a health and fitness centre, not a garage. Having said that though, I would have thought the VA would put in something like bike racks in order to encourage a healthier lifestyle and way of living, as well as doing their bit for eco'friendliness. As with all big corperations in the world, the only time they are going to listen is when the get negative publicity. So write them a friendly letter, enquiring as to why they are not providing the racks when there are such obvious benefits, and mention the fact you sending the letter to the press as well as the GM. 

Plain and simple, when I go for membership.

I ask the simple questions.

Why can they not provide lock up facilities, they provide a parking area for cars, they provide security/ car guards.

What does a bike lock up cost?

I will tell you what it costs, my membership fee.

They are a service, if they do not provide.

They will suffer by losing membership.