29er downhill bike

Matchstix

4king hell, check the width and back sweep of those bars. That is intense. I guess the obstacles will feel smaller with those big wheels.

On 29ers we dont fell obstacles........ we destroy them. Going to start selling off wife, kids garden tolls anything for one of those.

I wondered when DH bikes would upgrade to 29er! Makes even more sense than cross country (and cross country on a 29er rocks!).

My forecast - by 2011 90% of DH bikes will be 29ers....

I can see the benefit with the big wheels and obstacles, riding a 29er myself.

Just wondering how the bike would handle big jumps, etc.... because my bike doesn't really like to go air born.

It was much easier for me to get the bike off the ground on 26" wheels.

That's probably because my wheels weigh a ton, i'm not 100% sure. 

I can see the benefit with the big wheels and obstacles' date=' riding a 29er myself.

Just wondering how the bike would handle big jumps, etc.... because my bike doesn't really like to go air born.

[/quote']

At the speeds these guys fly it wont make that much of a difference. The DH bikes are generally MUCH heavier than normal bikes. I think that thing will fly nicely.

If anyone gets one PM me and I will come takes photos of you riding that thing. (And more importantly - you flying that thing!!)

I can see the benefit with the big wheels and obstacles' date=' riding a 29er myself.

[/quote']

Lenz DH:

20091113_022030_Lenz-DH.jpg

The problem with 29er Downhill bikes is that those big wheels arnt very strong. Because of the larger wheel radius, more leverage can be applied by lateral force causing the wheel to break way before a 26er would.

The problem with 29er Downhill bikes is that those big wheels arnt very strong. Because of the larger wheel radius' date=' more leverage can be applied by lateral force causing the wheel to break way before a 26er would.[/quote']

The wheel strength isssue has already been soved with Gordo rims and the like.

The latest build method for 29er DH rear wheels is to use a dirt jump 150mm rear hub.

The dish is symetrical so nice even tension on both sides. The free wheel on a single speed dirt jump 150mm rear hub can take up to six cogs and thats what they are doing:

20091115_104055_fc_004.jpg