Forward seatpost on road bike sufficient for TT

phemanderac

Hi

I have a road bike which I recently wanted to sell so I can build up a TT bike, since the only "racing" I really want to do are ultra distance triathlons. I was, however, discouraged from doing so for two reasons. The first is that I would have to sell the bike for far less than I paid in order to make a sale, which means I am moving backward instead of forward. The other is that I was convinced by friends that even if I had a dedicated TT bike, I would miss the road bike in situations where a TT bike is not ideal, such as club rides, which I regularly attend.

So I dediced to keep the bike, but as a result I just do not have enough money otherwise to spend on a TT bike at the moment. Maybe at some future time perhaps.

I have tried to slap some TT bars onto the road bike, but because the seat position is so far back, it actually only feels worse. It makes me bend forward so much that I have less power and feel even more crappy on my run, as opposed to just riding it "normal" road style.

My question is, will a forward seatpost improve this and make it more like a TT position, or am I not thinking of all the factors involved? I know the bike won't be aero like a TT, but it's not like I am racing with the pro's. I am more concerned about getting into a similar *position* than I would on a TT bike. Want to feel comfortable, not "compomised", and get off feeling good for the run.

Any advice welcome.

Yes I recken it will work. Can also try turning your original seat post 180degrees so that the clamp faces forward instead of backwards. But sometimes there's not enough angle then for the seat to clamp in at a low enough angle, will have to check. This basically changes your seat tube angle from the normal 73/74 degrees to more like 78 degrees.

• 1 year later...

Hi guys, did you try the seatpost reversal or go for another option?

Anybody else out there, any suggestions on this? Also don't have the bucks to get a TT bike and was looking to swop out my existing seatpost with a 'TT seatpost' and use that together with the TT bars. Any comments?

Hi guys, did you try the seatpost reversal or go for another option?

Anybody else out there, any suggestions on this? Also don't have the bucks to get a TT bike and was looking to swop out my existing seatpost with a 'TT seatpost' and use that together with the TT bars. Any comments?

Sent you a PM Buddy!

Reversed the seatpost , and went fine. Though, its not as comfy as a TT bike. You're not as low as on a TT bike. Your control on the bike is also affected as a roadbike isn't made for the rider being so far forward on it. Some guys at Ironman ride with their seats in the std position on tri-bars. Best is to exepience. To get a tri bike for 2/3 races a year doens't make sence.

To get a tri bike for 2/3 races a year doens't make sence.

I totally agree - I've got one of those KCNC seatpost, that has a funny clamp setup, I just move my seat a little further forward (not all the way), slap on a set of uberhund TT bars, my aero wheels... and I'm ready to fly. I'm lucky that I have a super aggresive position on the bike, so for me a TT bike is a waste of money (that I don't really have)... lol.

the best thing is to change your setup in small steps, you get used to it easier in small chunks - don't go do a massive change and expect it to be comfy straight away...

Edited by MariusL

Forward facing seatposted are the dumbest things ever invented. They put you in a position that is way too forward, almost to the point that you are pedalling behind you.

Push your seat forward and put on a shorter stem. You will be much more comfortable.

Thanks Marius & Eugene, that makes heaps of sense. As you said, don't wanna spend money on something I'm gonna use a couple of times a year at most.

I mainly do MTB, but did IM and a few of the half's and shorter tri's a couple of years back and had the same problem of not being able to find a comfortable setup with tri bars on my road bike, even with the seat all the way forward. I also found that the tri bars didn't get me much more aero than riding in the drops and that position also strained/fatigued my hip flexors despite doing quite a bit of core/flexibility work. So I was considering riding without the tri bars.

Then I put on a Profile Design forward seatpost (entry level aluminium type that was only a few 100 R's at the time) and that made a huge difference to comfort when riding with tri bars (although it does look strange...). I also tried different stem length/angle/spacers to get the setup right. Obviously this is nowhere near as good or as fast as a proper TT bike, but I found it to be a good compromise that was far better than the standard road bike setup with tri bars. I'd recommend trying it, but also go to a bike/tri shop and get your setup checked.