iPods and cycling

davem

I was under the impression that most races banned the use of iPods for safety reasons. They are banned in most running races and triathlons as well.

The 94.7 2009 Race Brochure, on it's back page features as advert for the 94.7 Music Shop:

"Why not ride the Momentum 94.7 Cycle Challenge with some of your favourite songs playing in your ear?"

Ignorant or irresponsible marketing. The back of the fleet is pretty chaotic, now take riders attention off their surroundings....

A bit more work for NetCare 911 I guess.

Your thoughts?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like someone tried and succeeded with mass marketing. This must have slipped through.

If its true its going to be a mess for most first timers and recreational guys and girls.

Mayby its Netcare who thought up the idea Evil%20Smile

I dont like riding with my Ipod, single track, etc is ok. But while on the road I like to hear what is coming from behind.

Fot all those riding, GOOD LUCK! Enjoy!

I dont like riding with my Ipod' date=' single track, etc is ok. But while on the road I like to hear what is coming from behind.

Fot all those riding, GOOD LUCK! Enjoy!
[/quote']this is why I only have the earphone in the left ear.

In all my years of cycling, I've never heard nor seen any rule against ipods/headphones.

Apart from not being aware of what is coming from behind I also think that it takes away from the idea of MTB ie the wind through the helmet,being in touch with the environment etc.Ipods and spinning classes might make sense,but I fail to see why while on a MTB especially during races.

Still don't see the problem ! My IPod is fully charged and ready to go . If you come up behind me while I am on a 2-4 lane road and you scream something like track or whatever it is roadies shout I will tell you f-off anyway . So better I don't hear anything . I am sure somebody gonna explain to us how this is going to increase accidents/incidents !

Nicely put dirt-rider... As for me, whatever they shout at me from behind, I's gonna tell em to f*&k off...

I am a bit behind when it comes to technology - can I use my walkman for the 94.7? I've made some killer mix tapes

How much does an ipod weigh?

Nope...they DO NOT COME in carbon...yet....Wink

And how much do 16 Gigabytes of music weigh???

Big%20smile

I am a bit behind when it comes to technology - can I use my walkman for the 94.7? I've made some killer mix tapes

Right on. Sweet!

http://misspinkslip.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/mixtape.jpg

I used to ride all the time with music but stopped on mtb rides because you slip up on all the sounds of nature and one needs to communicate with other riders to give way etc  and often there are greetings exchanged ... but I do miss the tunes and beats to give me pace and lift my soul.

For road rides like 94.7 I am def. going to be listening to music BUT the earpieces I use do allow me to hear whats going on around me (as one should) I think the earpieces that cut off all exernal sounds are silly if not dangerous.

" sounds of nature" Really? If you have time to hear them, you aren't riding hard enough...

I'm referring to MTB when saying of being aware of what is behind you.Imagine ST and someone stops dead in front just when the ST starts to flow as he/she is busy shuffling the clicker to get to another song and he/she has to stop to do this.This happened on a race in Stellenbosch and the ST looked like the N1 in the afternoon with someone doing 80 in the right lane.By all means tell the oke to p off if there is more than enough space.For all I care you can have a symphony orchestra with you as long as it does not impede on the other riders.