Dura Ace 7800 series

rory21

Not sure if this is correct section but anyways...

Did Dura Ace ever make the 7800 series with hidden cables (like 7900 series)? I love my DA but the cables really irritate me.

while having your technical attention ... ever had issues with recent raceface deuce cranks ?  The LBS is tryint to get me to buy them over the XT's , cause of the price - they say the newer cranks are better and dont have as many issues. Is this your experience?

Did you know however that they did produce Shimano's 1st carbon crank with the 7800? Now that is a cool crank.

Those cables are only good for 1 thing. TT position when in a break. Otherwise I agree.

while having your technical attention ... ever had issues with recent raceface deuce cranks ?  The LBS is tryint to get me to buy them over the XT's ' date=' cause of the price - they say the newer cranks are better and dont have as many issues. Is this your experience?

[/quote']

I have been riding RaceFace Dues Cranks for 3 years now, so here are my thoughts.

the BB on the 2007 model didn't really last very long, I was racing hard once a week almost, and putting in quite a bit of training time, I'd say the raceface BB lasted all of 6 months and it was stuffed. Changed it to an XTR BB, and its still going strong (got this crank and BB on my singlespeed now so still working well for 2.5 years). The crank itself has been great.  it has a self extracating bolt set up, easy to install. Chainrings are light, and shifts easily and securely (used with XT front deraileur)

only changed one worn middle chainring which got cracks from 'in race' repairs where I had to switch the drivetrain to single speed after shearing off the rear deraileur in the Hilton 50 miler race. (chain was too long and jumped up a rear cog, got too tight on the middle chainring and fractured a bolt)

The 2008 RaceFace Dues crank set and BB have been very reliable, no issues at all so far, I have been using the same set since Nov 2008. Very good lightweight marathon crankset. Wear on the chainrings is very little. Aesthetically it looks a lot better than the 2007 version too.

Not sure how they compare weight wise to the XT, but I have drilled them hard, and they have stood up to all the punishment my 90kg's could dish out.

Hope that helps.
Rude2009-11-18 10:46:44

while having your technical attention ... ever had issues with recent raceface deuce cranks ?? The LBS is tryint to get me to buy them over the XT's ' date=' cause of the price - they say the newer cranks are better and dont have as many issues. Is this your experience?

[/quote']

Get them professionally installed and they'll be great. Get it wrong and you'll wreck the spline.

For my money, I'd get the SLX. (actually, I did...)

The carbon crank never made it into production as it cost too much to produce for the weight saving over the new 7900 cranks...

7800 has external cabling cause it makes shifting more direct and smoother than rooting it under the bar tape (as is the case with 7900)

That's only one reason why 7800 is still the best