FOX vs Rock Shox

Dustyracer

Hi all, just like to know between a

Rock Shox Reba SL 100mm travel and a FOX RL F80 80mm travel

Which is the better one to use and why, I think the Fox is better but I've had great service from my trusty Reba.

Also what does the differance in travel mean? I'm a  lightwight rider at

68kg and belive that riding mostly XC and Marathon 80mm is more than enough for me?

Thanks

which is best for you can only be decided by you, after riding both forks and ensuring that each is set up correctly.

Truth be told, there is very little difference between a Rock Shox and a Fox in terms of performance.

100mm or 80mm?

again this is a personal preference thing. Personally I found 80mm to be adequate for XC riding. A 100mm travel fork does feel more linear than a 80mm fork though but that does not mean you prefer one over the other.

ride and decide

is it that you have the option of replacing the reba with a reba then just replace the reba with a reba, but just keep your reba until you brake it and then buy a new reba,

foxes like to leak oil alot an not just a few hours ago me and another 2 guys where comenting about leaking oil and blowing seals on the fox, if you a soft rider on the bike then a fox will be fine but a reba or any rock shox is pretty much bullet proof,

dont get me wrong i love the feel of a fox but to me its just too much maintenance, maybe i have just been unlucky

You will have to go a looooooong way to find a better value for money/do it all/little hassles/just ride it and forget fork than a Reba. I have a Reba Race, new Sid team and a Fox RL100. The Reba might be 120 gram heavier, but this is the Cape to Cairo fork. The Fox is weeping oil at the lock out.

From what i heard, and seen with my brother-in-law's fox:  Lotsa Maintenance, and maintenance, and then maintenance again. It keeps on leaking oil

I would imagine so. I know this does not relate at all to the above topic but how do marzocchi shocks compare?

hmmm decisions decisions... thanx little ben :)

marzochi is a strong brand,

manitou R7 and rock shox eg reba/sid is a light xc fork

any fox fork performs like magic but heavy on maintenance,

dt swiss forks i have not dealt with or heard anything,

what kind of riding do you do,

More marathons and wide dirt roads, haven't raced in a while but looking to get back into it. Read what someone said about the Rockshox being bombproof which is impressive coz sometimes i just get stupid in race mode, or even on single tracks and don't really want to risk a heavy investment such as a R7 or Fox. Also, I want to ride the Caminho de Santiago so gonna need something sturrdy.

More marathons and wide dirt roads' date=' haven't raced in a while but looking to get back into it. Read what someone said about the Rockshox being bombproof which is impressive coz sometimes i just get stupid in race mode, or even on single tracks and don't really want to risk a heavy investment such as a R7 or Fox. Also, I want to ride the Caminho de Santiago so gonna need something sturrdy.

[/quote']

Ok i would suggest a rock shox Reba SL or Reba Team for that,

and yip they are pretty strong.

Never owned a fox so cant talk about them.

In terms of after sales support in SA its hard to beat Rock Shox. I had a RS Recon Race completely lockout on me, sent it into the agents through my LBS, got it back after a week and R650 later it was better than ever with new seals and a full service. Pretty sure I would have had alot of trouble getting the same service with a Manitou or Marzocchi. They great brands but parts for the Rock Shox are much easier to get. Ive got a Marzocchi with weak springs on my dirt jump bike, and cant get the parts as Marzocchi no longer represented in SA.