Road bike vs. MTB

ewep

Big H,

Post 'n prentjie van jou MTB tandem, ek het 'n Canondale gesien by babbas lodeg desember verledejaar toe ek en die vroutjie ons eerste MTB race gedoen het.

Hierdie fiets het wild gelyk met die shock wat daarop was, weet nie wat nie maar amper soos 'n offroad bike sin gelyk. Kon darem op die fiets sit en sal ek graag so iet's koop eendag as die Uthingo maats net my nommers wil reg trek. 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can say that I prefer a HT, and cannot feel that it has reduced my speed downhill at all. in fact I feel I can go faster DH on a HT. I can feel what the bike is doing.

Re weight - go HT with ceramic V brakes. superlight and just as good as Disk.

The only advantage I see Disks having over V, is that they are lighter to use and the risk of tendonitice is eliminated.

Sure I will be shot for this smiley18.gif (DR stay calm!) but my feeling is get the right tool for the job! Roadbike on the road, MTB for the dirt. As far as HT vs DS goes I am sure that as many people as you ask you will get that many different answers!

I have a roadbike (Ok then 2, 1 for training and 1 for racing) and I also have a HT and DS. I haven't raced the HT so much since I have been trying to get it setup properly, that flippin @#$%$%% upside down back to front XTR rapid rise pi$$ed me off so much I have put my XT RD back this week and it's now sorted!

Find the DS is better for technical and long events (ala Sabie Experience), find that I don't get so beat up! Having said that I have never ridden a long event with the HT, perhaps I will ride it at Crater this year and see how it goes.

My suggestion keep the DS and get a roadbikesmiley1.gif

Lot of guys did the Epic on hardtails.  Not that big an issue. 

Question that I have is that I would like to know how much harder is it on your body over 8 days?  Direct bumps.  Arms.  Shoulders. Lower back. Etc....etc...etc...???

Guest Big H

2006-05-19_133413_IMG_1315.jpg

Daar is sy Team SL, vol stof soos 'n MTB wat werk moet lyk. Kyk die ligte, Sigma's met batterye onder die midelste tube en die Cane Creek Thudbuster suspension seat post agterop vir M. Maak 'n full suspension bike van 'n hardtail!!!!! Die shock is 'n Marzocchi FR series Bomber Wedge 130 mm travel met aircaps op. Ek het dit so pas self suksesvol oorgebou met onderdele wat uit Ierland bestel is. Die crankset is 'n baie skaars Shimano Hollowcrank I Tandem crankset. Die wiele is DMR sealed hubs met Sun Mammoth rims en Conti Gravity 26x2.3 tyres. O ja dit is die Omega frame wat deur Kinesis gebou is (tuiste van Giant, Raleigh en baie ander make wat die goeie gal uit die stoere fietsryers sal skok!!!!!!)

Get a roadbike. I have a FS MTB and I love training on the road bike, so much more effiecient, faster, less maintance, etc.