Ride to work day

How many have cycled to work today?

6.  Scott's Spin:  Worker's Compensation  o^o  o^o  o^o  o^o  o^o  o^o p>

p>

Spring has sprung, it's Bike-to-Work Week, and gas costs more than scotch. How much extra motivation do you need to start bike commuting?p>

p>

"But it's nippy in the morning," I hear you whining. "And the dog ate my patch kit."p>

p>

Oh, please. You people need a Sidi in the chamois. p>

p>

Why ride to work? Here's why:p>

p>

---Because you don't want to be eulogized while being buried in a piano crate. According to a recent Associated Press report, America's obesity epidemic has created a booming market for all kinds of super-sized products, including caskets measuring up to seven feet square. Remember: You burn lots of calories riding twice a day.p>

p>

---Because nothing beats pedaling past a long line of cars trapped in rush-hour traffic. And, yes, this includes most, if not all, of the seven deadly sins. p>

p>

---Because you can explain your absence from the boss's sunrise team-building exercise with just two words: "flat tire." p>

p>

---Because you won't be stuck on the freeway listening to "Gonzo 'n Gary in the Morning" making prank phone calls to Alzheimer's patients at Shady Rest Nursing Home.p>

p>

---Because nothing says good times like a 7:30 a.m. sponge bath in the janitor's mop closet.p>

p>

---Because black-clad vandals on bikes won't slash your SUV's tires and spray-paint "Oil equals blood" on the doors, which really happened to six vehicles last month in my admittedly odd hometown of Santa Cruz, California. Not that I condone such lawless behavior. Now if they'd done it only to Hummers. . . . p>

p>

---Because, face it, riding to and from your soul-crushing, soon-to-be-outsourced job is the most fun you're going to have all day.p>

• 2 weeks later...

Ek ry gewoonlik met die fiets werk toe. Behalwe as dit reen.

Veral as ek laat is vir werk is dit vinniger om gou die fiets te gryp en werk toe te jaag.

Is nogal bad om 11 uur die aand fiets te ry, maar dit is net sofeel werk om die hek oop te maak, die kar aan die gang te probeer kry, kyk dat die hond nie selfmoord probeer pleeg nie, wag vir die verkeer en dan nog padlangs te moet ry.

Maar byges? ek woon slegs 980 meter van die werk af smiley36.gif

I would ride but it's 20 steps from my bed to my office and 22 to the garage, I just can't warrant the extra mileage. smileys/smiley17.gif

I would ride but it's 20 steps from my bed to my office and 22 to the garage' date=' I just can't warrant the extra mileage. Click on image to open in new window[/quote']

I have the same problem. I don't think that Mrs TomTrek will be too pleased if I left skid marks in the hallway passage.smileys/smiley36.gif