Lady Cyclist Down

milky4130

Hi All, not sure if this was mentioned already but I just wanted to bring to your attention, of an incident this morning 10am, Chappies-Noordhoek side, lady got hit from behind, she looked ok, had blood pouring from her head even though she was wearing a helmet, didn't want to crowd as there was enough people attending & helping out, so not much detail. Must've been some tourist admiring the views (ocean) & didn't notice her ahead. Also noticed quite large groups riding side by side & some even with no helmet too-must also have been some foreigners again as locals wouldn't dare.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All' date=' not sure if this was mentioned already but I just wanted to bring to your attention, of an incident this morning 10am, Chappies-Noordhoek side, lady got hit from behind, she looked ok, had blood pouring from her head even though she was wearing a helmet, didn't want to crowd as there was enough people attending & helping out, so not much detail. Must've been some tourist admiring the views (ocean) & didn't notice her ahead. Also noticed quite large groups riding side by side & some even with no helmet too-must also have been some foreigners again as locals wouldn't dare.[/quote']

We went up Chappies yesterday and saw a few people without helmets. And no they are not foreigners but locals. We passed a few groups taking up the whole road and that creates a very dangerous situation.

I was there just after it happened. I didn't realize that she was hit by someone. Her helmet wasn't just cracked or anything, it was stoved in on top and squashed flat. That would have been her head.

Shame, hope she recovers soon.

If the helmet is a Bell or Giro it can be replaced under thier crash replacement policy.

Hi All' date=' not sure if this was mentioned already but I just wanted to bring to your attention, of an incident this morning 10am, Chappies-Noordhoek side, lady got hit from behind, she looked ok, had blood pouring from her head even though?she?was wearing?a helmet, didn't want to crowd as there was enough people attending & helping out, so not much detail.?Must've been some tourist admiring the views (ocean) & didn't notice her ahead. Also noticed quite large groups riding side by side & some even with no helmet too-must also have been some foreigners again as locals wouldn't dare.[/quote'] riding side by side

: i think riding side by side at certain times should be ok but not at ten,riding next to someone in certain areas at certain times should be a problem!

scary knowing this!thanks for letting us know.

do chappies often,must of justed missed it tod,rode up chappies at around 9:45 today.

just plain stupid to not wear a helmet!!

why take that risk?

Guest Frail4Life

Hi All' date=' not sure if this was mentioned already but I just wanted to bring to your attention, of an incident this morning 10am, Chappies-Noordhoek side, lady got hit from behind, she looked ok, had blood pouring from her head even though?she?was wearing?a helmet, didn't want to crowd as there was enough people attending & helping out, so not much detail.?Must've been some tourist admiring the views (ocean) & didn't notice her ahead. Also noticed quite large groups riding side by side & some even with no helmet too-must also have been some foreigners again as locals wouldn't dare.[/quote']

Any other details?

How is the Lady?

No helmets! Is this starting to become a "Cape Town typical problem"? I just hope that no-helmets is not the new-cool.....

I did a ride to capepoint two days ago and saw too many without a helmet. There was this group of road bikers at redhill without helmets. This is just plain stupid - going fast downhill with no protection on your pumpkin. I have been in a crash where my skull was safed by the helmet (still have the scars on my shoulders).

And the baboons at cape point have no respect for roadies - a whole bunch just sat in the middle of the road and did not move for cyclists.

yes, our riders are going oldschool with not wearing helmets...one of these days they'll stop porking inside condoms....

Guest colonel

My call is is that if you dont want to wear a helmet its your choice. If you crash or whatever and are injured cause of it then again, that is your choice.

like most people i have a vehicle and a bike. and as a motorist i find it

irritating when you drive down a busy road and there are 2,3+ cyclists abreast blocking the road.

as cyclists i think we need to respect motorists and they way we ride on the road.

as motorists we need to be more observant and less haste

Guest Frail4Life

Still no details on the Lady cyclist, HOW is the lady??? smiley5.gif

My call is is that if you dont want to wear a helmet its your choice. If you crash or whatever and are injured cause of it then again' date=' that is your choice.

[/quote']

Once a tjop always a tjop

It's not a case of choice. You don't have a choice. The law requires that you wear a helmet.

Do you also suggest not stopping at red traffic lights in a 18 wheeler pantechnicon? It can cause slightly more mayhem, but the end result can be the same.

If you want to be treated with respect on the road, then treat it with respect.

jmaccelari2010-01-01 09:56:25

like most people i have a vehicle and a bike. and as a motorist i find it

irritating when you drive down a busy road and there are 2' date='3+ cyclists abreast blocking the road.

as cyclists i think we need to respect motorists and they way we ride on the road.

as motorists we need to be more observant and less haste
[/quote']

Clap Clap Clap

Clap