Rider down HARD at the Bike Park

Hog_

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope the rider has a speedy recovery.

the medics were a bit daft with the rout they took, the main path would have made life alot easier, that drop is seriously steep.

Sensationalised isnt the word, i think they trying to stop everyone riding MTB.

Do they send someone along just to take pics?

Its almost as if they were posed for!

just read in the star that the guy's name is dawie howell and he's 31. no more info in his condition, but i've found some stuff that was edited out of the report:

- sunninghill's spokeswoman pip kruger said he was in a stable condition.
- howell called his friend fanie hattingh - a cycling partner who is a doctor, and apparently previously worked for netcare.

- howell said he felt "pins and needles in both hands". hattingh told him not to move while he called the medics. 
- Hattingh was asked if his mate had the experience to ride the course. the response: "for sure."

holy roller2010-01-06 23:30:57

Hope the rider has a speedy recovery.

the medics were a bit daft with the rout they took' date=' the main path would have made life alot easier, that drop is seriously steep.

Sensationalised isnt the word, i think they trying to stop everyone riding MTB.

Do they send someone along just to take pics?
Its almost as if they were posed for!
[/quote']

netcare often send pics out with their releases. they have to maintain and promote their profile. the media actually gets a lot more info from them than we often do from the municipal or state emergency services and the police.

The article has been sensationalised somewhat. I know that spot where he crashed. The paramedics should have just headed down wide section of trail that becomes the perimeter section next to the N1. They could have avoided the 'steep' date=' slippery embankment' and wouldn't have required any firemen or ropes...
[/quote']

the site ran the netcare presser as is.    

Hope the rider isn't seriously injured. Hope this doesn't put anyone off riding at the Bike Park.

not meBig%20smileit makes me think how lucky msbehvn was when she bailed into that "ravine" on canyon a while back. she emerged unscathed!
holy roller2010-01-06 23:32:53

another titbit: apparently about six months back, both hattingh and howell while cycling - not sure where - came across an injured lady who also complained of pins and needles. they stayed with her until an ambulance arrived. she suffered two fractures in her neck.

not meBig%20smileit makes me think how lucky msbehvn was when she bailed into that "ravine" on canyon a while back. she emerged unscathed!

Actually, it's you and Thuggie who were lucky that the only injury I had after that little tumble was a bruised ego LOL 

I hope the guy makes a full recovery. The park is an amazing spot for JHB. I was at first a skeptic but now love doing laps around angle grinder, ewok and zombie. 5 laps is as good as doing 3 hours of riding... There is nothing better then riding there along the spruit, doing laps, drinking coffee and riding home... XC riding is the future...

Actually' date=' it's you and Thuggie who were lucky that the only injury I had after that little tumble was a bruised ego LOL 
[/quote']

Ouch

with an attitude like that, we shoulda left you down thereLOL

Actually' date=' it's you and Thuggie who were lucky that the only injury I had after that little tumble was a bruised ego LOL 
[/quote']

Ouch

WE?  When did you eventually realise that I was even missingAngry

[/quote']

Ouch

WE?  When did you eventually realise that I was even missingAngry

the sound of you crashing through the undergrowth gave me a hint. then i turned back to see your bike?but no you.

come, come, it's almost the weekend?don't get angry now.

Hope he gets well soon, Before he gets the bill for the chopper...If an average ambulance trip costs in the region of R1500 to R2000 can you imagine how much the 'bird costs?

My wife used to dispatch for Netcare and to lift the heli in 2005 was in the R10 000 region...

They should have more low bridges like the one at the end of Roller Coaster. Super fun to ride, and builds skill, and if you crash off it, it won't be that serious. Personally I would rather want to ride a 10m long narrow bridge with twists and turns in it, than just flat high up bridges. IMO the high bridges are just for show close to the highway, build more technical fun low bridges.

Hope he gets well soon' date=' Before he gets the bill for the chopper...If an average ambulance trip costs in the region of R1500 to R2000 can you imagine how much the 'bird costs?

My wife used to dispatch for Netcare and to lift the heli in 2005 was in the R10 000 region...

[/quote']

Makes one think... maybe one should just lie there and wait a while, until something heals, or even better, get riding buddies who work in the ER.  

Thanks for all the info guys! Saw the chopper and the rescue basket with a guy in it yesterday and wondered what had happened. Sucks that it had to be one of us! Hope he gets better soon. Keep us posted.