Tokai -> Table Mountain?

maddox

Has anyone got a decent map of where you can/cannot ride when linking up a ride between tokai and table mountain?  I've look on both Amarider as well as the table mtn national parks site and its pretty sketchy.  I know there are some signs at the major entrances to Cecilia but I still occasionally see people riding their when walking my dog.  Is this acceptable?  Also can you get from the back of Cecilia up to Rhodes Mem legally?

thanks.

Unfortunately sadly there is not a legal off road route. ?There is a small path along the Constantia Nek rd which would then enable you to hook up onto the pedestrian walk along the M3 and up to Rhodes Mem.

?

Its NOT legal to ride in Cecilia or Newlands forest. ?And anyone who does is jeopardising relations with the landowner.

Between Tokai and Constantia Nek...... in the Park nothing, otherwise its private landowners wine farms....

Cheryl J2010-01-08 02:23:45

• 3 months later...

Reviving an old thread.

One of the biggest issues we face is land access and whilst I appreciate all the arguments to keep private land private, most of the land around the mountain belongs to the state, who are custodians of it on our behalf. I am convinced that we just need to make our collective voices heard loudly, together, rationally and for long enough for them to take notice.

I have looked at the AMArider site and PPA and neither of them appear to be up to date on the land issue with Nat Parks - I could be wrong and I dont mean to criticize their efforts - but I would like to know where this debate is at and who has the mandate to talk to Nat Parks.

It would be a great travesty for me not to be able to ride around the mountain on gravel in my lifetime.

Please if anybody can inform where the process or debate is I would be very interested to add some effort.

thanks 

• 4 months later...

dunno when this was announced, but I might just rejoin PPA

from here:

http://www.pedalpower.co.za/AboutPPA/PPAProjects/tabid/74/Default.aspx

The Table Mountain MTB Project (working title) is aimed at giving Cape Town MTB tracks that will eventually circumvent the whole of Table Mountain. The project includes new trails as well as the linking of existing trails, potential bike parks, bike adventure centers and a limited number of events in order to turn Cape Town into the MTB capital of South Africa. The pilot study is both funded and spearheaded by the PPA. “We’ve already had a few meetings with role players, and are very excited about this project,” said PPA chairman Steve Hayward.