HRM or Disk Brakes

DJ84

Thanks for all the suggestions. You confused me some more' date=' but Brighter Lights and climate made up my mind. Thanks guys. Gonna get a HRM.[/quote']

Well I'm on V's (XTs) and just want to ask you one question: Can your fork safely handle Disc Brakes?

Personal reason why I'm still on V's and why I'm first saving up for a HRM - for a disc upgrade I might as well get a new bike.

They Dart 2's with disk mounts, so im sure they can handle them safely. Also considering a new bike over upgrading mine.

They Dart 2's with disk mounts' date=' so im sure they can handle them safely. Also considering a new bike over upgrading mine.[/quote']

make sure when you upgrade that you get the best you can for your money..I have learned the expensive way that a bike with cheaper components is not going to keep you happy for a long time before you start with the "upgrades"

They Dart 2's with disk mounts' date=' so im sure they can handle them safely. Also considering a new bike over upgrading mine.[/quote']

make sure when you upgrade that you get the best you can for your money..I have learned the expensive way that a bike with cheaper components is not going to keep you happy for a long time before you start with the "upgrades"

Good advice and my reason for asking. My (cheap OEM) Suntours have disc mountings but is "unsafe" for Disc. The fork is my priority upgrade as I'm hammering them at the moment.

Thats also the reason im not keen to upgrade to disks as i will not be able to put a good set of wheels on as well.

Julian Absalon won the 2004 Olympic XC on a 28mm SID WC fork with v-brakes... 

I find the BBB 3 compound v-brake pads to be superior in wet or dry. 

V-brakes don't squeel in the wet and the BBB pads are on par with my Juicy 7's in the wet.

Besides, disk's will cost you a fortune when riding in mud/rain. Just think R400+ for a set of pads while you can get pretty good v-brake pads at R120-00.

Don't know who remember the 2006 Trans Baviaans... how many disk pads were metal on metal and had to be replaced during the race while my v-brakes lasted fine.

In that muddy Kabouga 60km in 2009 I wore down a set of Juicy 7 pads that had at least 50% left, in one race! (Sinthered)   

Only reason I ride disks now is to let my expensive wheels look new for longer.

Good luck with the HRM - now find a nice book like - The Mountain Biker's Training bible 

I would go with the HRM. It allows you to train better and pace yourself. I've got a Polar RS300X with Flowlink and Bike mount. Shows you everything you need to know.