Flat Thin 'fancy' saddle beter why ?

rawoke

Hi all. Soooo I recently upgraded to a new silverback siera :) Full XT! Great yay ! But it also came with those 'fancy' thin-not-very-much padding type of saddle's. Granted I don't think silverback makes the greatest of saddle's but the concept remains the same I guess.

Now my question is why are these thin saddles better for yo u ?? My arse hurt so much this weekend :( Compared to my el cheap'o ravx saddle on my prev bike. The ravx in question is like so http://www.cyclelink.com.au/images/zone-x-sport.jpg and ooo so much better than the piece of plywood i had to suffer through this weekend !!!

So why are they better (the thin fancy one's ) ?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those big sofa ones are not good for you. With all the padding you rock from side to side while pedaling. The Silverback is not the best out there but you can certainly get other thin saddles that are more comfortable.

Puffy saddles makes you lazy - then you go slower.

Hard eina ass makes you wanna finish the race asap...

Puffy saddles give way after time and then results that your leg length is not the same anymore and can cause pain on the front of the knee Geek Wink

Hard flat saddles don't give way - only burns the fat on your ass and after a while its bone on plastic/carbon. Approve No length changes etc and also the above reason!

@astana ! Hey dunno if it's that, but have notice the last few rides on my old saddle my right front knee is sore yes ! Very interesting !

Rawoke, got to your bike shop and ask them for a SDG Bel-Air SL. It is still chunky but harder then the sofa you are use to. Should not be more the R300.

Good question, I understand the theory of sitting with the sitbones on top of the saddle but for me it doesn't work. I have given it a fair go but my anthem's Fizik Tundra is going to gather dust while I use a good old Bel Air.

http://www.cyclingmaven.com/saddle-sores-and-how-to-avoid-them/

Bottom line from this link is that the seat, the shorts and the chamois is a system that needs to compliment each other. If you are going to spend 10plus hours a week on your bike, invest in a good saddle, a pair of bib shorts that fits you properly with a chamois that is comfy and doesn't move around between your butt and the saddle. Also ensure that you look after your shorts and chamois by using ass cream and washing your shorts as recommended.

Thats what I'm afraid of yes ! specially with me having a hardtail! going down groenkloof's single track I'm afraid wil give me sink-holes in my arse !. Think I'll try this bel-air. Less padding than my old one, way more than my current one :).

Any idea's on pricing on these's ?

@astana ! Hey dunno if it's that' date=' but have notice the last few rides on my old saddle my right front knee is sore yes ! Very interesting ![/quote']

It might or it might not. Im no pro with that. Just think about it and its possible. My setup needs to be 100% otherwise I can feel something is not right and problems start to appear.

Like I said - its not proven its just my interpretation of logic. In a weird way its sounds like bullsh*t but for me leg length must be 100%. Lower saddle is ok for me but just a tat higher and BAM back to my old troubles with side of the knee / hamstring / bicep femoris tendon pain

get a fizik arione / gobi

Only started riding regularly (i.e. got a decent bike and actually enjoy it now) in June 2009.  The bike a bought has a fizik Gobi on.  Initially thought @#$%, that has to hurt Ouch but was very surprized and relieved when after 2 weeks of riding it actually became much more comfy than expected. (maybe I just lost all feeling in my @ss Embarrassed)

X-Gear you a roadie ? I'm guessing it will be easier to adapt to those thin saddles if your a roadie ? than if your arse is bouncing on/off the thing on a mountain bike hardtail ?