Manitou fork...and a BIG problem!

Merlin

Hi everyone,

I've got a serious F'-up on my side...

In December whilst on holiday I damaged a part of my brakes. Both were subsequently serviced by the LBS down there.

However, the front dragged a little but due to time constraints I was forced to accept the bike as-is. Believe me, had I had a chance, I would have given the bike to them to sort out properly.

I got back to JHB and got a chance to investigate the issue...

The @#%^ing Idiots have stripped the thread of my fork - a Manitou Black Elite 120mm.

It's the design where the caliper bolts into the fork, and not 'across the ridge'.

See photo...

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc77/Mikroz/MBE120.jpg

I REALLY do NOT have several thousand Rand sitting dormant with which to buy a new fork.

There is very little meat on the fork with which to play in terms of fitting an insert.

I have been looking and have considered the following...

[Viewing the fork as seen in the photo...]

1. Drill the slot in the caliper larger to the right, and then drill and fit a miniscule insert into the fork, if at all possible.

2. Find out what metal the fork is made from, weld (if possible) the hole closed, and then retap it.

3. Permanently fix the caliper to the fork - stupid idea. Period.

4. Attempt to get a new 'bottom' from Manitou?

Are any of these possible? The fork is quite a few years old now. smiley19.gif

I am in JHB and anyone able to assist would be most appreciated.

Many thanks, Nic

Hi SC,

I'm not that technically inclined...

Would you mind elaborating on that for me a bit please? :)

What is it? Who in JHB can do it? Rough cost?

Many thanks, Nic

Check out the following post.? It covers the use of helicoils for stripped threads.Good luck with the repair.https://www.bikehub.co.za/forum_posts.asp?TID=60781&KW=helicoil&PID=906777#906777

Thanks Chowder.

I'm speaking to a Mechanical Engineer about this later this week' date=' and will also send a message to Johan [from your link'].

Cheers, Nic

Merlin

If at all possible, speak to Johan B. If he cannot help you / suggest a solution, you can throw the fork away!!

But i'll bet the price of a brand new fork that Johan will be able to sort you out...

Good luck...and give the LBS some hell!!

Hi Cassie,

I've sent Johan an email. :)

If the fork goes, the bike goes - the budget can't support a new fork of similiar specs unfortunately. :(

The LBS in question is in KZN, and due to severe time constraints whilst down there, I wasn't able to check the bike over properly whilst there. It would now be a case of "I say, they say..."

:(

Cheers, Nic

Hi RR,

To be honest, I haven't checked. I will do so tonight.

What do you need me to measure in terms of the boss? Length and breadth?

Sorry for the ignorant question - my engineering know-how is sadly lacking. :)

Cheers, Nic

2nd option! maybe before that, try see what new lowers will cost from manitou.

But there is another possible solution, when i had a stripped socket on my old bike, i bought some special glue that looks like a metal paste and you put that in the stripped sockets of your fork, put the bolt in, then the next day unscew it and the glue will hold the threads. unfortunately Id imagine it only works if there is a tight fit with the stripped fork mounts and bolt, otherwise i think you might have to do some pricise aligning which could be a mission. but speak to your hardware store, I didnt even ask my LBS and give that a try! if it fails, you can just drill out the glueSmile

Good Luck!

Thanks jrussell,

I'll ask around for some more info' on the paste.

Haven't heard from Johan yet, but I only email him this morning, sooo... :)

Cheers, Nic

Proper repair would be Time-sert insert.  find out who does it in your area.  Wurth most likely? The dimensions of the boss is relevant to see what insert it would or would not take.  There are other options also, some i do not want to mention in case i am crucified by inhouse expert. You will get this fixed easily.

Thanks for the tips. :)

Have also emailed Manitou...

It's a bad idea to surf bike websites - it makes my wallet cringe and me drool. :D

I will wait to hear from Johan and Manitou before looking at buying new lowers.

Cheers, Nic

See

http://www.timesert.com/html/engineeringdataM.html

and

http://www.metalockasia.com/engineering_products.php#timesert

This gives you an idea of what inserts available. take your shock to someone who has the kit and ask for repair.  Otherwise if your shock has V-brake bosses, buy an old wheel and fit proper brakes (V-brakes).Big%20smile

Retrorider2010-01-12 04:32:08