Ironman advice required pls

leonl

Hi there

I am going to be doing the Ironman in April - my heart believes it but my body does'nt.I need some advice on what kit to buy for the swim,cycle and run, i have the basics such as the bike, helmet,goggles,running shoes and a lot of heart BUT need to know where to go to get the necessary - things that i may not think of.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Cheers

Leon

Hi Leon

1. have u ever done a triathlon before?

2 plenty online resources.. www.xtri.com is a good one

3. the boys at troisport are also very helpful (www.troisport.co.za)

I suggest you get a program (quickly -- 103 days to go)

rgrds

C

After that list you need a wetsuit, there are a few good brands available in SA, I personally prefer Orca and the prices are good on http://www.fluidlines.co.za/ . Not sure if you have a tri bike or a road bike but tri-bars make the day alot more comfortable.

Also not sure if you have done any tri's before but it would be advisable to do 1 or 2 short distance tri's just to find out how your body reacts to each discipline. Brick sessions in your training (running off the bike) are essential.

Im sure you're going to get a world of great advice from the guys on this forum but just PM if youre stuck with anything.

Good luck and see you on the line April.

You've already got everything you need, ok except race fuel, but that's provided on the day

Don't get told to buy this or that gadget you don't need it to finish your first IM

Don't worry about doing any triathlons, they won't prepare you for Ironman, it is a completely different beast

Ironman is 21km road race preceded by a very very long warmup!!!!!

Good luck and enjoy the greatest race on the planet

You've already got everything you need' date=' ok except race fuel, but that's provided on the day

Don't get told to buy this or that gadget you don't need it to finish your first IM

Don't worry about doing any triathlons, they won't prepare you for Ironman, it is a completely different beast

[/quote']

i think you mean 42km...

From the training you do to the actual race day fueling strategy is going to be "non standard"

I did my last year on game and jelly babies just to prove a point.

Best advice I can give is to stay in zone 2 and e during the race and do not forget to eat.

You have to train for this as well.

Doing my 4th next year and still worried so just keep on training as much as you can and make sure to recover well between rides.

You still have 14 weeks left so perhaps use the Polar 12 week program and make sure to taper well.

You need an entry level wetsuit and no you do not need the best.

For your bike you need clip ons if you can find some

Hope this helps a bit.

PS: Read the 10 common mistakes on the IM webpage as they are so true.

You've already got everything you need' date=' ok except race fuel, but that's provided on the day

[/quote']

i think you mean 42km...

Ummmmm Nope Embarrassed

Here are some small but helpfull tips.

- Make sure your swim goggles are comfortable and do not make your eyebolls wanna pop out. Depending on how strong you swim you will be in the water for 1h30+. Be comfortable from the start.

- Go and get yourself a "race number belt". This way you do not need to pin your number on your shirt front and back.

- Do one longish ride a week with a short to mediam run off the bike. this will help prepare your body for the shock comming off the bike in a race.

- Get yourself an Antiscuff stick. This is to be used on your neck to prevent the wetsuit taking the skin off the back of your neck.

Lastly, do your own race. do not try to race the guy next to you because you feel good NOW. it wll come back to bite you in every possible place.

Oh and most importantly do not forget to enjoy it.

Good Luck

If you are in Jo'berg, go to the Triangle Sports shop in Bedfordview. (they also have a shop in PE) I was a novice last year and they advised and supplied me with equipment.

I did both the "Half" and "Full" IM last year. (r u going to the "Half" this weekend? It gives you a good idea of what to expect @ the "Full" X2!!! heheh..)

If you r a "Vaalie" like me, the swim is the scarry part. I practised in the school swimming pool. My first openwater swim was @ the "Half" (and to top it all - the beach was closed the day before the race because af a SHARK in the water - true story! Ask those that were there...) I would not advise you to do the same. Try and do a few openwater swims before you get there.

I tried to do three sessions of each routine each week. One of the 3 sessions of each routine, must be a long one. Also make sure that you do at least one brick session a week.

Make sure that you rest enouch. You dont have time to get sick.

Make sure you go into the race with a plan! "If you aim at nothing, you are sure to hit it!"

Swim Plan! Transition Plan! Cycle Plan! Run Plan! Eating Plan! (You DONT want to hit the wall!) and most of all, remember "80% of this race is in your head!"

Try and get a few IM DVD's. It is inspirational.

Oh, and remember when you get to the race: There is nothing more that you can do, except to enjoy and saviour the whole experience. You will always remeber that first one!
Bungykhb2010-01-13 02:50:01

If you are a novice @ swimming, this site helped me a great deal!

but do try and go to some one that does "stroke correction" It can save you a lot of energy and time in the water...
Bungykhb2010-01-13 02:55:58

Troisport, they will have everything you need, want, require and desire.... Go chat to Mark or Werner they will get you sorted in no time.

Program is NB Clair Horner www.mytrainingday.com or Lucie Zelenkova who won IM last year has got an awesome squad http://www.trifactri.com http://www.facebook.com/string_image.phpct=AAAAAQAQWsA70Z12ha7K2iSHiUxsaAAAABmXhDCKKM5Ci4LURHMxn1y0SpOIr5ZwXLUqdsNlJuQ-cg%2C%2C&ampfp=8mpstate=0&amphighlight=0

good luck :)

Hi guys

I just wanna say a big thank you to all of you peeps for the advice and interest shown in a fellow hubber that desires to complete the IRONMAN.

Have a wikid day

Leon