Patching tubes

Woofie

When I did still use tubes on the mtb(thank you Stan Koziatek ! ) if I had to patch I used the pre-glued ones from parktool. 

The big thing I noticed was to use a fingernail to press down on the edges of the patches and scrape outwards so they stick and kind of stretch.  Otherwise the edges don't set and it leaks.

I have had my share of success and failure with patching. My rules are:

1) Sand properly!

2) Don't be schnoep with the glue - put on lots so that you can leave a nice layer (less than a millimetre but not so little that it is just a few molecules!) that allows your WHOLE patch to fit (ideally you don't want to cover TOO big an area but rather too big than too small).

2)Put that patch on but DON'T touch the sticky side of the patch with your fat fingers if you can help it. Peel off the silver foil and then hold patch by plastic backing film.

3) Pop patch in place and then push down HARD. I have done this on the road side by finding a flat stone and then pressing down over the patch with the tube supported by something hard (eg the road or another rock). Take extra care to push hard around the sides of the patch to ensure proper bonding. Don't be in a rush here. Let the patch bond properly.

4) As JB said, peel the backing film from the middle. You can do this by bending the patch down the middle until the plastic film "pops" but take care not to unstick your patch by being too vigorous. Biting down with your teeth works well here! You can then peel from the middle outwards. Be CAREFUL as you get to the edges to ensure that you don't peel the patch off the tube.

5) Try to get the exposed glue to not stick to your tyre by rubbing it with your finger - I have sometimes used a bit of dust to just "unstickify" the glue. Wow - "unstickify" - that is a good one! smiley36.gif

By following the above steps, I can honestly say that the patches really work. I still have the odd failure but usually this is when I didn't follow my own rules or as someone mentioned, the glue was old or something like that. I have had it before where I tried to peel off one of my old patches and it tore the tube but the glue held.

jislaaik, this must be a record on the hub, two or three very interesting and usefull threads in one week.

Nice question Woofie !

I would say yu need a thin layer of the glue . . .to much glue is not good

I ususally put n blob where the hole is and in a circular motion work the glue outwards.

I prefer (except for pinchflatts and larger cuts) the strip patches that you cut to size. they stretch much more than the vulcunized patches.

jislaaik' date=' this must be a record on the hub, two or three very interesting and usefull threads in one week.

Nice question Woofie !

[/quote']

Thumbs%20Up

Ok, I will start another one just now so we can make it official!

Woofie2010-01-15 02:25:03

........... I have had it before where I tried to peel off one of my old patches and it tore the tube but the glue held.

I have often tugged at my old repair jobs and they peel straight off the tube.

Maybe I have been using inferior or old glue all along then.

Ok, so a summary of everything I have read here to get the best results.

1. If you are not at home and in the wet forget about trying to patch and phone for help.

2. If you are at home have a clean dry place to work with some spare time on your hands.

3. Sand down the tube so the affected area is smooth and free from the original shiny layer.

4. Generously apply glue, spread and wait until it is totally dry and no longer tacky.

5. Carefully adhere patch without contaminating it and apply cr@p loads of pressure with your bed, couch or vice.

6. Forget about riding it for a day and when you inspect your work be extra carefull not to damage the side seals of the patch. Pull of the plastic bit from the centre.

Ok guys.

I will go and try this procedure.

If you see me Angry or Big%20smile on monday you will know why.