Calibrating of Torque wrench

Reg Lizard

Speak to the guy from "The Tool Shop" in Strijdom Park. I got my Norbar wrench from him, and he said i should bring it in every year to have it tested and re-calibrated free of charge.

The wrench uses a spring to set the resistance, and as far as i know if used a lot it needs to be checked and possibly re-set. Also I was told to never undo anything with the wrench, only to use it for tightening bolts etc. Loosening whatever can cause it to need calibration more frequently. 

Speak to the guy from "The Tool Shop" in Strijdom Park. I got my Norbar wrench from him' date=' and he said i should bring it in every year to have it tested and re-calibrated free of charge.

The wrench uses a spring to set the resistance, and as far as i know if used a lot it needs to be checked and possibly re-set. Also I was told to never undo anything with the wrench, only to use it for tightening bolts etc. Loosening whatever can cause it to need calibration more frequently.  [/quote']

And don't drop it(atleast not the older models) as this alo stuffs around the calibration

Speak to the guy from "The Tool Shop" in Strijdom Park. I got my Norbar wrench from him' date=' and he said i should bring it in every year to have it tested and re-calibrated free of charge.

The wrench uses a spring to set the resistance, and as far as i know if used a lot it needs to be checked and possibly re-set. Also I was told to never undo anything with the wrench, only to use it for tightening bolts etc. Loosening whatever can cause it to need calibration more frequently. 

[/quote']

Was not aware of this. I have a TWrench on the top of my tools shopping list.

Torque Tool in Jules st, Johannesburg have facilities to calibrate wrenches.  Unless you suspect a problem it is highly unlikely that the average cyclist will use a wrench enough for it to need re calibration.  Check yours against a buddie's before going the recalibration route.

Is it necessary to have your torque wrench calibrated from time to timeConfused

Yes, especialy if used in critical installations and with frequent usage.

Some industries require it every 6 months, others every 12 months, some even require a "torque check" every time you start a new task.

If you are the only one who uses it and dont use it every day I would not stress to much about it. If you are really the inventive mechanic type you could build your own torque checking tool, but only if you are really pedantric (sp) about it.

Doing some Googling tonighton torque wrenches and calibration. Some interesting methods to DIY it yourself.

But one important thread post that I saw was a guy making a statement that one should always re-torque a set of bolts / nuts everytime you work on one. Keeping them all at that the same torque is critical to their function.

Never drop any tool... but we all know that rule doesn't stick...

Adendorf should be able to do it as well and they have branches all over the place...

Never drop any tool... but we all know that rule doesn't stick...

Adendorf should be able to do it as well and they have branches all over the place...

With torque wrenches one thing that affects their accuracy is adjusting (winding) the torque selector past the min or max setting.