Why do the pro's not race with hydration systems?

CJVDM

I think quite a few of the guys will have different arguments when it comes to what the setup regarding fluid carrying is. Some will say that centre of gravity on the bike is put out and you are becoming more 'top heavy' etc as a result of carrying the camelbak. Other will not like having it on their back whilst racing and don't want to feel 'restricted.' All valid points but it is what you feel comfortable doing.

If it fits and you're comfortable - wear it. It's all about trying to make yourself as comfortable and competitive as possible. Find the setup that suits you.... and enjoy the ride.

Fair point. I am not at that race level so i guess i dont really think about those things. 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Daemon, racing I've done 60km/ 2h50min, took one drink and one water, was way too much in anyway.

Training in about 4hours I'm just about ok with the 2 bottles. 

I take some Octane sachets so like at the Kgswane MTB race in 08 I used that to quickly fill up at the water point as the hot weather and 3km uphill portage made me drink more.

But this really depends ALLOT on the rider, some people go train for 3 hours on water, others drink 2 bottles energy drink, I do half to 3/4 with water as well, so we all have different requirements.  Also how hydrated are you beforehand ? And I get carbs from gels, bars etc as well so dont need to drink as much.

I like to compete so the weight, aerodynamics, difficulty in filling and heat build up all deter me.  Even if I had one I would rarely use it as I come in early and fast enough to not need t consume so much as the back markers in the boiling heat.  I train early as well to avoid the heat.

On stage races where you can be out there for long in the heat yes I can see the packs use there, but still I'd only take the small one for water, not a MULE.

There are medics, water points and tech zones at most so I dont get some guys doing a 40km race with a stuffed MULE, Whats in there ? First aid ? Jackets ? Toilet paper ? Braai ? Beer ?

I carry 2 bottles, one water and one octane and can put a 3rd or more in my jersy if needed.  Have a multitool, pump, tube and then co2 and inflator, tyre boots, quicklink, cable ties and tubeless plug kit in a small pouch as well as bars, gels etc.  Then for training a phone, keys and pepper spray.  These go in my jersey so really what would I use the pack for ?

My el cheapo pak allows me to carry extra water to fill up my bottles on the bike (I use one bottle for water, one for energade mix). It keeps the water nice and cold for a few hours, and its great to have extra clean water to rinse your face off when you have sweated, wash off your shades and have some extra water to spray your chain and cogs when you have been through gritty mud. Then again I drink a lot(!) when I cycle and would rather have more water than needed on a ride.