Why do the pro's not race with hydration systems?

CJVDM

Ive seen the latest pics of the Attakwas and also seen the footage of some races.  (Ive never done a MTB race before, only training rides).

Im interested in buying a camelbak but seems the pro's only use normal water bottles.

Why is that???

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive seen the latest pics of the Attakwas and also seen the footage of some races.  (Ive never done a MTB race before' date=' only training rides).

Im interested in buying a camelbak but seems the pro's only use normal water bottles.

Why is that???

[/quote']

They do the race in a fraction of the time we do. They don't need that much hydration. Also, they often have waterbottles waiting for them at all the waterpoints. I also use my pack to carry spares, and these guys usually travel a lot lighter than I do...

Guest Frail4Life

Ive seen the latest pics of the Attakwas and also seen the footage of some races.? (Ive never done a MTB race before' date=' only training rides).Im interested in buying a camelbak but seems the pro's only use normal water bottles.Why is that???

[/quote']

The Pro's have support that carry everything for them, Why must they carry extra weight (camelbak 1kg - 2kg).

What is the point off dieting to lose weight (to be as light as possible) or buying a carbon fibre bike or parts ( to make it as light as possible)?

Then go and carry a 2kg Camelbak and Water bottles and maybe some spares.

They go as light on the bike as possible and get refueled when ever they need something.

Yah.

Power-weight ratio is the name of the game in pro cycling - tarmac or dust.

Less excess [external weight] weight - not good.

Can make the difference between podium or off the podium result!

I usually don't race with my camelback. I keep it for long training rides in the cederberg and races like Attakwas. The first stop was 42 km in, and on a hot day I would go through 500 to 750ml of liquid an hour. I averaged 15km/h for the this section yesterday, so it would have been touch and go if I didn't have a camelback. If I had a technical issue and was out there for another 20 mins I would have been in trouble, so I opted to be safe. It turned out to be a good call, as all the water points was well stocked with ice, so my race fuel in my camelback was nicely chilled throughout the ride. The pro's don't loose time at the water points. They spend 30 secs to have a quick fill and then they are off again. If you ride pro, every gram counts, so they put up with the slight discomfort of luke warm drinks in their bottles.

Thanks guys Smile. I just thought the pro's wont have support everywhere in the mountains....

2nd Question:  Does one carry a mix in your camelbak, or just water?  I was thinking of water only in camelbak and some AJ mix in my waterbottle (perhaps a bit stronger) which i can wash away with the water.  Ive heard the camelbak bladder can become a but messy..

Camel packs are great you put your tools in spare tube lunch phone ect. . . and you have your drink in it and don't have to stop and walk back so often every time you hit a big bump and your water bottle falls out!

Thanks guys Smile. I just thought the pro's wont have support everywhere in the mountains....

2nd Question:  Does one carry a mix in your camelbak' date=' or just water?  I was thinking of water only in camelbak and some AJ mix in my waterbottle (perhaps a bit stronger) which i can wash away with the water.  Ive heard the camelbak bladder can become a but messy..

[/quote']

As long as you take care of the bladder, you will be ok. Wash your bladder with milton and rinse properly with fresh water. Leave the water intake open and store with a clean dish cloth inside the bladder to absorb any moisture.

Rinse the Camelbak out, including the hose and the mouthpiece. Then inflated slightly and store it in the deep freeze to kill any bacteria that might try and grow in it.

Ive seen the latest pics of the Attakwas and also seen the footage of some races.  (Ive never done a MTB race before' date=' only training rides).

Why is that???
[/quote']

Same reason they shave their legs; w.....s LOL