Racing 2010

ewep

The 2010 racing year is beginning and, because of that, the TB marshals had a training session yesterday, both for all noob marshals but also as a "refresher" for the guys who've been around.  As the Fast One is usually one of the less favorite marshalling events, and the start of the new year, I would like to ask all Gauteng participants to please help with the following:

You will be allowed to race.  BUT if a marshal shows you to move to the left of the white line it is with your safety in mind.  Get back over the line immediately.

THINK for yourself!  If you want to do a breakaway on a blind rise is that safe??????

Look at the marshals as the guys will warn you as far as possible of any road hazards, i.e. potholes, etc.

Don't always follow the marshalls like sheep.  Remember, a motorbike is slower into a turn than a bicycle.  I have shot past a turnoff as I went into the turn too hot and had too shoot past.  Look for directions from the footmarshalls.

Marshalls will help in any which way they can with medical emergencies.  We all are in contact with the Joint Operations Center of the race, so if you see someone hurt, etc, flag down a marshal.

Please please please ask your team cars to give us a bit of respect for what we do and what we ask them to do.  Quite a few marshals have had close calls because team cars think they have the right to do as they please.

Finally, the marshalls are there for your safety during the race, but we have to look after ourselves as well.  Most of us have taken wild chances to get traffic of the road because of cyclists ignoring our warnings.  PLEASE help us to make this a safe racing year for you, your fellow cyclists, the vehicles on the road and all the marshals.

See you on Sunday!!

• 2 weeks later...

Race 1 for the year is over and done with.  The TB marshals found this long swim interesting but also rewarding. 

I think all involved on the day prayed for some respite from the rain.  I was constantly watching the clouds, but to no avail!  It just kept on coming down.  I think the parellel between the bikes and bicycles are actually quite close as we had to take corners, etc VERRRRRYYYYYY slowly.

I started out with the VC group and we (2 marshals and one noob) had an awesome ride!  You guys really made our work easy.  Thanks for listening and reacting to our warnings and requests.

I know the race was substantially smaller in numbers, but the feedback from the TB marshals were awesome.  It was great to hear that all went well and no dangerous riding or threats were to be had.  If this is the way the 2010 season is going to be, BRING IT ON!!!!

See you at the Carnival!!

Have to note your point on the team cars, it's a difficult situation sure. Yet sometimes the okes really do take chances, especially if the motorcyclists have media on the back.

Experienced this a number of times during the 94.7 for example. Pretty stupid considering that we are quick to point out how vulnerable cyclists are on the road.

EWEP, TB and Ulyesses (spelling?) do a great job, many thanks.

Just a quick idea on my day Sunday.

Briefing and group allocation - Nasrec: 05:00

Departure from Fanbeltpark - 12:30

Total mileage (including to the start and from the venue) - 395 km

EWEPness .... During the training, is there training or anything along the lines of riding with a passenger that is a cameraman?

At the Zoo Lake Crit I was told that there were no motorbikes for cameramen, marshalls only and would have to shoot from the car.

Which was unusual for a cycle event as the only way to really photograph/film cycling is from a bike or aerial shots, a car is really unwieldy and although the driver did a stellar job it was really difficult to get the shots. Especially if theres 2 or 3 snappers in the car Big%20smile

Would this be for safety reasons due to the route or nature of the race?

Or no experienced riders on the day?

Ta mate...

I must say, THANKS a LOT for the marshals on Sunday. They even went so far as to putting milk crates inside one of the pot craters, or was it a spectator. Thanks for giving up your time paid/unpaid to keep us safe.Clap

EWEPness .... During the training' date=' is there training or anything along the lines of riding with a passenger that is a cameraman?

At the Zoo Lake Crit I was told that there were no motorbikes for cameramen, marshalls only and would have to shoot from the car.

Which was unusual for a cycle event as the only way to really photograph/film cycling is from a bike or aerial shots, a car is really unwieldy and although the driver did a stellar job it was really difficult to get the shots. Especially if theres 2 or 3 snappers in the car Big%20smile

Would this be for safety reasons due to the route or nature of the race?

Or no experienced riders on the day?

Ta mate...

[/quote']

DD, here's what's up:

1. If I pillion a professional photographer and I am involved in an accident the insurance will not pay as my bike is insured for private use only.  
  2. A rider and pillion takes time to get used to each other.  It took Michelle and I 3 rides before we were kinda "comfortable" with each other.
  3. The TB marshals are just that, marshals.  They don't like riding next/in the bunches and as such avoid having photographers with.  You guys always want to get closer!
  4. Some of the organisers prefer not to have photographers out on the route
  5. Our head marshals prefer to keep other bikers of this type of route as it endagers cyclists more than a car does (funny as it might sound)

Shot EWEP ...

on point one, do organisers not have public liability insurance or something similar for things such as this?

2- Absolutely agree, although a biker and a camera person that have done this a couple of times normally get comfortable with it pretty soon, in my experience. Do understand though it comes down to the individual as well though. I make sure I never pillion on a superbike, if theres a choice I pick the rider with a tourer like a GS or similar.

3- Can understand that completely, extra duties like ferrying media should be planned in advance and allocated accordingly. Can only speak for myself, but I keep it clear to the rider that we can't get too close to the bunch or impede cyclists at all, maybe as a cyclist it's clearer for me.

4- Yeah, think there are other reasons behind that. For the larger events and those seeking coverage, it's the only way to cover an event though.

5- It's a big responsibility for sure, though there are guys out there who are trained/skilled and have bikes rigged for this. My worry is the biker who isn't experienced in this and thus the potential risk is higher.

Sorry man, I'm taking this off topic... thanks for the Q&A though smiley9.gif

DD, no problem.

A quick anecdote, on one of the races, I think it's the Sattelite last year, a photographer pitched up and asked the marshalls (not TB) for a lift.  They went down quite hard when the cyclists caught up with the two because (1) he didn't know a bicycle can corner faster than a bike and (2) he got a fright when the bunch were right up close and personal.  Because the two were "new" partners he got a fright, put the bike onto the verge, where the photographer got a fright and eventually the fall.

The long and short, you as a photographer should pick your rider VERY carefully and if possible go for a ride.  As a rider I need to do the same and make sure that you have (1) been on a bike before and (2) at least ride/have ridden a bicycle recently.

Heheh ... I know exactly who you are talking about actually, known her for a while. Highly experienced photo- journalist who now freelances, saw her at Primedia and she told me about the incident.

Camera gear was toast, talking 50k worth at the least. I speak under correction, but there was quite an issue around the whole insurance and 'who is liable' thing with the hands in the air 'oh sorry'

Yeah I have to say, I'm always careful.

Had a brilliant rider at the 94.7 from Ulyseses, he wasn't really experienced with cycle races. Had marshalled and carried media for running races though, also he was a level headed guy and on an F800.

After explaining some things like the corners etc.. it was great, we communicated well and had no incidents and it was cool to see how he enjoyed the experience of the race. Dude was seriously impressed and I think left with a new found respect for the sport of cycling, he couldn't believe the speed and tactics that go on in a pro bunch.

Insurance is something that must be looked at as well, by the rider, photographer, organisers and even the client as such.

Unfortunately this most often isn't the case.

Still, in terms of marshals and press coverage one of THE safest and by far most effective tools, are the motorcyclists. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Race 2.  A complete surprise from the marshal side of things.  We got the request for us to marshal the Emporeers one on Friday, 5 February.  A bit of a logistical problem as a lot of the marshals, like most other people, plan their weekends in advance.  BUT we made it, we had enough bikes to help with the bunches!!

This morning I started with the Elites.  Not my favorite group, NOT due to the cyclists but due to the number of other bikes and cars involved in and around the bunch.  The race started off very well, with short attacks starting on the highway.

The pothole section was, errrrrmmmmmmmmmmmm, JA!  I'm very glad the Elites came through there ok, but sheesh, I was uncomfortable on my bike, so I don't want to know what it was like on the bicycles.

The rest of the race was quite uneventful from a marshaling viewpoint.  All went well, and I was very happy.  An apology from my side, there was a delivery truck messing up traffic right on the end straight.  I tried to get the box out of the way but he just upped and ignored us, as if a noisy bike and all other traffic control around him did not exist!

Lap 2.  All went well here as well.  Helped here and there, stopped here and there, but all ok.  To you speed freaks, you have an open invitation from me.  I would love to take you out so you can see what these guys do for the sport and for their health.  Just remember, FULL KIT, i.e. ATGATT.  Some of these guys and gals were still coming in when we left. 

I have to congratulate the EMPD for the effort they put in today.  These guys and gals went out of their way to make it easy and safe for all of us on the road today.  They tried, not all knew exactly what is going to happen, but the really tried and succeeded.  You guys ROCKED!!

A few requests from the marshaling side.  We, at stages, need to get through the bunch, give us a gap, we just want to get back up front.  Secondly, at the pothole section some marshals had problems getting the cyclists through safely.  I know everyone wants to race and get through safely, but you as a cyclist will NOT win when playing chicken with car/truck.  Please keep an open mind here.  We're just there to help you guys.  Finally, remember we are NOT paramedics.  We are not qualified to assist you when you're hurt.  To the dude who got all snotty a km or 2 from the end when I had no idea what to do, please remember this.  I can not assist you, and I can not push you around, I'm a marshal and NOT your personal assistant.

Overall, a good one.  Thanks for all the thank you's and the chats at the waterpoints.  See you at the Ride for Sight!!

• 2 weeks later...

Ride for Sight

Race 3 for the marshals. Not a good one today, for numerous reasons. Being "general sweep" I was at the beck and call of the JOC and my fellow marshals. Waiting for the Racing Tandems to start I got the call that I fear above all, accident, guys down and serious. Got there, traffic duty and got the ambulance out. Anyone that knows how the gent in Elites is doing, please PM me.

Right now for the rest. One of the bunches nearly got disqualified on the R554 by one of the Head Marshals for ignoring warnings. I had a rider in the VD group just plain ignoring warnings for going to the left and the same story in the B/L bunch. Ladies and gentlemen, please note, the TB marshals are going to start getting stricter. We have let you race, with the request to listen when we ask you to go left. To absolute NO AVAIL! We have asked very nicely at races, I've asked on numerous occasions here and you have been warned on the road. The TB marshals WILL start disqualifying riders endangering their own and the bunches lives! The TB marshals WILL disqualify a whole bunch if they rules and request relating to traffic and safety! If you want to play chicken with a truck on your plastic bike, please feel free to do so, ON YOUR OWN TIME. Please please speak to the guys and ladies in your bunches. They are going to get YOU hurt, not only themselves!!!!!

A quick funny story. On the dual carriageway between Heidelberg and Benoni I was called by a A/L rider (sorry, did not get the number, I was laughing too much). On getting closer the dude tells me to pull the V/D riders back as they want to race. According to him "the V/D's are too slow". So I told him to attack and get out, I was even willing to close the right hand lane. According to him it was too dangerous to attack. Dude, if you're on here, if you want to race don't expect me to pull out your competition if you aren't fit and ready to race.

See all at the Macsteel!!