Stretched chain?

Cassie

I have been riding with the same chain for about 7 month with about 4 to 5 rides a week on it. It is now totally worn out but I am still riding with it and there is no jumping and skipping gears. I am about to replace the whole drive train now but im going to buy 2 chains and rotate them every week and that should last me the rest of the year i hope.Smile

You say it is totally worn out but how do you know? Have you measured it? Time is a poor judgement of chain wear. Further, worn chains don't cause skipping  if the've been on the same sprockets since new.

By rotating two chains you are doing nothing other than creating yourself an administrative problem. Skip it.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

JB, I have done about 3500km's since the lbs declared my chain as stretched after checking with a park tool. Because they said that it was worn to the point of not saving the cassette I decided to ride it until it starts to give problems. So far no skipping or shifting problems; I also did the Attakwas on Saturday with the chainset.

What are the dangers of riding like this e.g. can I damage any other parts of the bike (bottom bracket, bearings etc)?

When will I know that it is really time to replace the cassette, chainrings and chain if a worn chain wont cause skipping?

JB' date=' I have done about 3500km's since the lbs declared my chain as stretched after checking with a park tool. Because they said that it was worn to the point of not saving the cassette I decided to ride it until it starts to give problems. So far no skipping or shifting problems; I also did the Attakwas on Saturday with the chainset.

What are the dangers of riding like this e.g. can I damage any other parts of the bike (bottom bracket, bearings etc)?

When will I know that it is really time to replace the cassette, chainrings and chain if a worn chain wont cause skipping?[/quote']

I would trust the manufacturer's advice. Besides the fact that you may save a few bucks here and there on a cassette vs. chain, wear is due to the pin connections wearing out. I would be more worried of breaking a chain than of wasting some money.

Jay Bee as jy my weer 'n ieknorramis noem gaat ek bitter kwaad word!!!!!!!!! ......... ek belowe!!!!!!!!

Jay Bee as jy my weer 'n ieknorramis noem gaat ek bitter kwaad word!!!!!!!!! ......... ek belowe!!!!!!!!

Ek het jou beledig? Waar? Ek's in 'n goeie bui al vir 48 uur en het nog niemand afgep*&^ waarvan ek weet nie....OK, daar was die ou in 'n Polo vanoggend by die sirkel wat gedink het dit is 'n 4-rigting stop maar dis al. Ek sweer.

JB' date=' I have done about 3500km's since the lbs declared my chain as stretched after checking with a park tool. Because they said that it was worn to the point of not saving the cassette I decided to ride it until it starts to give problems. So far no skipping or shifting problems; I also did the Attakwas on Saturday with the chainset.

When will I know that it is really time to replace the cassette, chainrings and chain if a worn chain wont cause skipping?[/quote']

Eitan, I see you are newish here and haven't lurked much, since in the last six months this topic has been covered at least 6 times. It is a monthly fight here.

A worn chain will not cause skipping problems if it has been on the same cassette since new. When you put a new chain on a worn cassette, then it will skip.

A worn chain and cassette does not cause shifting problems. Shifting is unaffected by chain wear.

There are no dangers of riding with worn chain and cassette and it will not damage other parts.

I suggest you search for a post with Everything You Need to Know About Chains in, it is all explained in there.

Hi just a comment' date='

My Campagnolo chain has at least 12 000 km on it .

My casette and chainring more than 40 000 km . No skipping .

Are you only cycling 53/11 or what chain do you have on?

[/quote']

Hmmmmm.

And the wisdom in that lies where?

Easy , Buy Campac do not cycle in the 53 /11 combination but at cadence above 90 , clean and lubricate your chain and you get more out of the chain and it won't let you down in a race.

My chain has just reached the 0.5% wear now(under tension off course) , will have to replace next week

Big%20smile 
Cheese2010-01-21 14:01:00

Hi just a comment' date='

My Campagnolo chain has at least 12 000 km on it .

My casette and chainring more than 40 000 km . No skipping .

Are you only cycling 53/11 or what chain do you have on?

[/quote']

Hmmmmm.

And the wisdom in that lies where?

Easy , Buy Campac do not cycle in the 53 /11 combination but at cadence above 90 , clean and lubricate your chain and you get more out of the chain and it won't let you down in a race.

My chain has just reached the 0.5% wear now(under tension off course) , will have to replace next week

Big%20smile 

@Cheezy....I would IMEDIATELY change brands....it sounds like your chain can really stretch!!

not much noticeable difference for me between tension vs no tension measurements...as long as the chain is laid out flat and straight...

With that sort of mileage - yes change your chain....just beacuse!!