Stretched chain?

Cassie

Ok, now that I have everyone's attention - I know a chain cannot stretch.

So, I bought an inch ruler (from Builders Wahrehouse) and set about to measure my chain...

This is what I got....

20100119_053919_100_5130_small.JPG

on the 12inch mark....(0 inch starting in the center of a link pin)....there seems to be some possible wear? My brittish matehmatics is not good enough to allow me to calc 1/8 inch and 1/16inch increments...thus my posting to the web.

I also looked at the 24 inch mark, in order to minimise the reading error....

20100119_054350_100_5128_small.JPG

There definattely seem to be wear, judging by the fact that the 24th link pin is not exactly on the 24inch mark?

I then inspected my middle chain ring and...

20100119_054544_100_5132_small.JPG

yet again - some wear is visible...

Took the bike to the LBS for an "independent" confirmation...I played dumb and just ask if my chain was OK or not...

They took out their nifty blue tool and measured the chain - 0.5 on the indicator is usually where they advice a chain replacement...and yes, my chain wear was past this mark.

Now - the real reason for this post.....

Question  Iv'e had no real reason to replace my chain yet...1700km's from new...

No skiping; no shifting issues whatsovever...

The LBS advised that the middle ring will definately skip on a new chain and possiblt also my favourite gear on the rear casette...

Do I ride the crap out of this set and replace the entire casette + chain + middle ring later when issues crop up or do I take a chance now and replace the chain - hoping the rest is still salvageable?

What would you do in my situation?

Must admit - the LBS said it was my choice....wear it down till no more or replace chain + middle ring now. They did not push me for the sale wich I appreciated...

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the problem with waiting is your chain could wear out to the point where is will snap.... it has happened to me several times... ( poor student days)

rather replace the chain now.. and have a look. see if anything skips or jumps. but .5 to 1 should not affect your chain ring or cassette worse than that will...

the genral rule is replace your chain every 3 months or 1000 km..

those nifty chain wear tools are easy to fine and cheap should find them at most bike shops

having a look at your middle chain ring, there is wear there but the only way to be sure that it wont affect your ride is to try a new chain.. you could always put the old one back..

p.s you right chains dont stretch, but they do wear out. remember a chain is really a set of hinges. and they wear out at the pivot points. from all the open and closing movement they have to endure.. so the better lubed your chain the better the wear will be the longer your chain will last.

Noted....I do actually have new chain..but did not want to try it out yet!

May I just should - surely i cannot damage the  new chain by doing this?

My brittish matehmatics is not good enough to allow me to calc 1/8 inch and 1/16inch increments...thus my posting to the web.

Cassie, here's a handy tip for future reference:

Just do a Google search for the term "how much is 12 1/8 inches in mm"

This works for converting all sorts of formats - weight, exchange rate, etc

If the start of the ruler is in the middle of the pin, then the chain looks like it has lengthened by around 1/32" over 12". This is about 0.25% wear. The general recommendation is to replace when it reaches 0.5% wear (i.e. 1/16" over 12"). You've still got some way to go before you reach that point on the chain.

The chain checker the LBS used says it is already at 0.5%. If your pics are correct then the chain checker is wrong and would have told you to replace when you still have another 1700km to go.

Here's a pic to help you with the inch maths:

20100119_065836_Image1.jpg

Edman2010-01-19 07:02:25

Just a tad off-topic. But CNA has steel rulers marked in inches for less then R20. The best bike tool you can buy.

Back on topic. I will ride it for another 100 and see how it goes. Until it reaches 12 1/16" for 24 links.

the problem with waiting is your chain could wear out to the point where is will snap.... it has happened to me several times... ( poor student days)

rather replace the chain now.. and have a look. see if anything skips or jumps. but .5 to 1 should not affect your chain ring or cassette worse than that will...

those nifty chain wear tools are easy to fine and cheap should find them at most bike shops

having a look at your middle chain ring' date=' there is wear there but the only way to be sure that it wont affect your ride is to try a new chain.. you could always put the old one back..

p.s you right chains dont stretch, but they do wear out. remember a chain is really a set of hinges. and they wear out at the pivot points. from all the open and closing movement they have to endure.. so the better lubed your chain the better the wear will be the longer your chain will last.
[/quote']

I am going to disagree with you on that one.

If you maintain your chain, then you will be able to ride it for much longer than 3 months.

20100119_071552_100_5129_small.JPGThanks Edman....just what i've been looking for!!  Am a tad lazy today to do the calculation myself...

Geez...CNA = steel rulers....never would have thought of looking there.  Mine was about R40...still if it can save you cost on unnecesarily replacing a chain...then it's worth it.  On the pic above you can see my starting point of measurement.

Alos notice how clean my chain is?Big%20smile
Cassie2010-01-19 07:17:15

stewie911 this rule genrally applys to roadies.. who are doing the milage and competing level. although a i have noticed myself that when cycling to work every day, which gave me 36k's for the day, i needed to replace my chain on the third month, the fourth and i would pick up problems. yes i do agree with you a better maintain chain will last longer and have said so..

cassie try the new chain. no you wont damage it this way but make sure your chain breaker fits, and undamaged,

If your chain wears but no one measures it' date=' is it worn?

?

?
[/quote']

park tool has a chain checker that doesn't even measure chains, according to a certain hubber.

If your chain wears but no one measures it' date=' is it worn?

[/quote']

The old ZEN Question - maybe a case of if your chain wears and no one measures it do you care? Mutt2010-01-19 07:26:22

having a look at your middle chain ring' date=' there is wear there but the only way to be sure that it wont affect your ride is to try a new chain.. you could always put the old one back..

[/quote']

I am going to disagree with you on that one.

If you maintain your chain, then you will be able to ride it for much longer than 3 months.

Hi Guys

Okay I know not everyone is a fan of the Park Tool chain measure tool. But that is what I use. A chain will do way more than 1000km. I use a chain for about 3 to 4 months before I replace it... But in that time I do close to 4500 to 5000km. Have replaced my chain about 4 times on my current group set, no noticeable problems yet.

stewie911 this rule genrally applys to roadies.. who are doing the milage and competing level.

It's a pretty innacurate rule-of-thumb, then.

I'm sitting on around 3,500km on a Record chain and around 2,500km on a Veloce chain. Neither is showing any measurable sign of wear. I do, however, make sure I thoroughly clean and re-oil them at regular intervals and always after riding in the wet.