29ers HOW LIGHT IS YOURS?

Hermanus Cycles

Nice bike 20Niner what does she ride like and what have you changed since the standard XTC?

Everything but the fork ,frame and headset.

also no carbon on the bike besides the bottle cage.

Rides great,just did 24 hrs Wiesenhof Solo this weekend.

climbs like a mountain-goat (on steroids)

light, nimble.

Love it

Altough,if I change frame to Niner scandium Air it will be 270 grams lighter.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So if I drop those chunky bar ends and change the frame,it would be sub 10kgs.........................................................................................................................................

Oooooh I just got this funny itch now.

I am off to break my "Piggy Bank" where is that hammer...?

The frame is medium

1620grams

I built nukeproof hubs with wheelsmith db15 spokes and sun eq21 rims

the wheels are not super light,1750 grams with out skewers and rotors

still use the stock wheels for local riding and general tossing about.

So if I drop those chunky bar ends and change the frame' date='it would be sub 10kgs.........................................................................................................................................

[/quote']

I can unreservedly recommend the Air 9 - I still giggle like a 9 year old girl everytime I ride mine. It has served me welfor 4 months now...

This goes completely against my "no carbon on mountain bikes" theory but have you seen the Niner Air Carbon???

I'll never own one but damn its HOT!

Eldron hands 20niner a hammer....

Common sense Eldron say "smart man not make bicycle unreliable for sake of bling" Wink

The On One carbon 29er (in final testing at the moment) should be available around April at around R7000 - maybe a bit less, about a third of the Niner carbon.

So 20niner.

Let me get this straight. When you change the frame, the only parts left from the orginal bike is the headset and fork. I hope the heaset says Giant XTC on it so that you can convince your wife its stil the same bike, just with a few upgrades on itLOL.

So 20niner.

Let me get this straight. When you change the frame' date=' the only parts left from the orginal bike is the headset and fork. I hope the heaset says Giant XTC on it so that you can convince your wife its stil the same bike, just with a few upgrades on itLOL.

[/quote']

No problem with the wife and kit....I am in cycles trade,so it is all in the name of testing,r&d,and such.I also tell her that I get it at landed cost,which I almost always do.

But yes,the fork and headset will be all that is left of the Giant,unless I get a headset with the Niner.

So if I drop those chunky bar ends and change the frame' date='it would be sub 10kgs.........................................................................................................................................

[/quote']

I can unreservedly recommend the Air 9 - I still giggle like a 9 year old girl everytime I ride mine. It has served me welfor 4 months now...

This goes completely against my "no carbon on mountain bikes" theory but have you seen the Niner Air Carbon???

I'll never own one but damn its HOT!

Eldron hands 20niner a hammer....

Common sense Eldron say "smart man not make bicycle unreliable for sake of bling" Wink

Have seen pics of the air carbon

Very sexy,but don't know what it will weigh.

Carbon is not always lighter and I don't like the sound of rocks on the down-tube.

I think the air is the next frame for me.

Will call them now.....

Thanks I found the HAMMER>

The On One carbon 29er (in final testing at the moment) should be available around April at around R7000 - maybe a bit less' date=' about a third of the Niner carbon.[/quote']

hello!

Starting to build up a 29er, what bars should I get?

Straight? Mary bars? Riser bars?

Does single speed or geared option influence this decision?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi 20 Niner

What cranks are those? They look like the KCNC stuff (Arizonic?) If so - are you happy with them? Looking to get some gold stuff to bling the new 29er and I'm not sure about these cranks.

Thanks

They are the airozine x12sl   ,they are great value for money,very light so that leaves it on the not so strong side....

You know the theory?

STRONG

LIGHT

CHEAP

You can NEVER have more than 2

If you are under 85 kgs ,try them.

R2000.00 a set including Ceramic BB incl. postage

Got a Gary Fischer Superfly not really built lite at 11.3kg ready to ride, and a Ellsworth at 13.2kg full suss.

Should get the new sanat Cruz this week in at 11.0kg built fairly lite for long distance.Tongue

Eish,saw another tallboy on the weekend,NICE.

But for now I am over the duals.

I am enjoying the awsome speed of h/tails.

My new Niner Scandium is only due end of the month.....patience.